TAT CN Header

Thursday, January 12, 2006

The World of Running Blogs

Yesterday I was bored and was trying to Google my own blog to see if it would pop up in a search (I do this from time to time, and don't lie, I know all of you with bogs do it as well, and those without blogs, you know you Google yourself; I do. But I have learned that I am not interesting and have nothing that crops up under my name. Sometimes I also Google ex-boyfriends or friends I've lost contact with; that's fun too). Anyhoo, my blog did not come up within the first five pages, and that's all I ever look through. But what I did find were a lot of other running blogs.

I've always known there were a lot of us out there, but it struck when I was scrolling through the search results just how many are out there. So, after thinking about it some, and reading some of the blogs that did pop up on the search, I came to three conclusions about running, and about blogging about running.

One, running must be one of the most popular sports out there. And why wouldn't it be? It's easy to get started, you don't need special equipment, it's relatively inexpensive, there is plenty of variance, so you can set sizable goals, and anyone can do it. The popularity of the sport isn't new to me -- I didn't wake up yesterday -- and every time I'm at a race it always strikes me how many people are there, and these are just local events; it's not the New York Marathon. But there was something monumental in browsing through the blogs yesterday -- the girth of our community is quite overwhelming.

Two, runners not only like to run, but they also must like to talk about running. While I'm sure that badmitton enthusiasts also love to share their experience with the cock and shuttle (on ein the same? I'm not sure about badmitton terminology), you don't see too many blogs about it (although, it gives me a good idea). Runners, on the other hand, love to write and read and make comments about their own running and the running of others. We're a chatty group.

Three, everyone else seems to be running further and faster than me; plus, they have way cooler blogs! I try not to compare my running to others, but sometimes I can't hlep it, and I feel a bit like a tug boat barely tooting behind everyone else. And I sometimes can't help but wonder if I spend more time blogging about running than time spent running. I originally started blogging to keep some kind of record of my running, but now it seems that the blog has become my focus and the running has become secondary -- I run in order to have something to blog. Is this wacko? I blog therefore I run?

Too much to contemplate -- brain might flip inside out.

10 comments:

mouse said...

I've noticed many of the same things you do about runners. I often think about how great the running community, as a whole, is.

One of the things that I sometimes forget, and that I have to remind myself when I feel like I'm slower, or not running as much as, other runners is that they're also generally not a judgemental group. Yeah, if a guy stops dead in front of me and starts walking and I trip over him and fall I'll most likely consider him a total ass and more likely call him out on it.

But, for the most part, runners are supportive of other runners' efforts, because it's such an individual thing where you're competing against yourself most of the time.

I don't really know what my point is. I guess it's that one shouldn't worry about whether they are fast, or run 50 miles a week, or don't think about, write about, and wish to be running 24/7. We're all part of this community, and we all contribute something to it. And that? is awesome.

Iron Jayhawk said...

I agree with both you and mouse.

The running community is so insanely supportive. One of my morning runs, I had over 15 fellow runners say hi...or good morning...or keep it up...while I was out on the trail. And it doesn't matter how fast you are (I promise you that you're faster than me in all respects, both blogging AND running)...but the fact that everyone cheers for the others.

When you've fallen back in a race, 9 times out of 10, someone will either catch up or slown down to talk you through it. This sunday one of my friends, who will complete the marathon at least 2 hours faster than me, is going to try to get BACK on the course to help push me through the wall. At the Chicago marathon last year, I saw some of the early finishers hail a cab to some of the earlier miles to cheer on other runners.

It's just such a wonderful, positive, uplifting community where you are never alone. And I like that.

The runners who blog community, however, is simply amazing. Lots of support on here!

m said...

I think you are right. I haven't run since Monday and haven't blogged since then, oh wait I did blog to explain that I couldn't run b/c I was feeling sick. I guess I will start blogging again when I can run.

Liv said...

Look at the comments piling up from the supportive running community!

I too spend far more time reading about running than actually running (see my blog description!) - but what's great is that if you talk about running to most of your friends they are generally bored out of their skulls, but you can blog about it to your heart's content and people always want to read more!

Unknown said...

I prefer when you blog about the habits that lead you astray like eating yellow cake with chocolate frosting and drinking binges.

I have good intentions of running the 5K with you in a couple weeks but honestly, I haven't run since that drunken run a few weeks ago. Not sure if I could make it and be able to walk for the next week without cursing myself.

Who knows...maybe I have it in me. I have been exercising, eating better, and drinking less...maybe no drinks for a couple days before and a mile run here and there wouldn't hurt me...

A Deal Or No Deal said...

Don't worry about being intimidated by faster bloggers. Except for about a few dozen people in the world, there's always going to be someone faster. I've been running for five years and I have the same inferiority complex you do.

Joyce said...

i love reading running blogs! you can learn so much... (and googling people is always fun - but i didnt just admit that!)

Anonymous said...

I just discovered running blogs (and started my own, of course!). They are a great resource and I have to admit I enjoy the binge confessions and "I didn't run today" entries. Makes me feel like I have a chance and it humanizes the speed demons I see on the road.

howtogoag said...

5 years later... I thought I'd tell you how I found your blog. 21 days to form a habit. I googled that and you were the first thing that popped up on google. I know I need to start running and pick up the habit... And your blog was a great thing to find.

Unknown said...

Shuttlecock is also called a birdie. I collect hobbies. I've just recently picked up running again.