TAT CN Header

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Pool Time and New Running Shirts

Today, I decided to spend my afternoon relaxing pool side. So, I loaded up on reading material (RW's newest issue, the weekly issue of TIME, and a novel I just started -- more on that later), my sunblock, some water, and my towel, and headed to the pool. It was a relaxing afternoon, and I spent about half of it in my deck chair and the other floating in the pool, which I thought might still be too cold this time of year, but which turned out to be the perfect temp for today's sun and heat.
It was a relaxing way to spend my Sunday afternoon and I always feel good when I get some sun (must be that vitamin D, huh?). Later, I waited for the sun to set and then I put on my running clothes and got ready for a 3 miler.

As I mentioned yesterday, it's hot now here in South Florida, and it was time to find some running tops that fit my new preggo belly. See, normally I run year-round in just a sports bra and shorts, and that's what I did for about the first 12-14 weeks of my pregnancy because I wasn't really showing at that point. But about 8 weeks ago, I started donning some tech shirts I have because the growing pudginess in my middle made me self-conscious about having it out in the open.

Soon, those tech shirts were too small to fit over my growing baby-belly, so I was substituting some oversized t-shirts that I have (some of which are race shirts that I thought I'd never have use for because they were so big -- turns out, they make decent maternity house shirts), but as I said yesterday, these are mostly cotton t-shirts and are certainly not cut out for running in FL's heat and humidity.

I checked online at some maternity running tops, but some were priced as much as $58 a top! And I'm sorry, but I'm way too cheap to pay that for a regular shirt, let alone one I plan on only wearing for a few months. So, instead I went to Target this morning and bought some tech shirts in a size large. I went with larges because I think the length will work out the best. See, they are definitely too roomy on top:
But, the length is good. Medium might have worked for a better fit on top, but I don't want to turn around in another month and buy larges when the belly pushes out further and the length suddenly shrinks. So, as you can see, I got sagginess on top, but the length is what I was looking for.
And ultimately, this is what I have to compromise in order to only pay $9.99 a top.

So, for the run, it slid around a bit, but I'm only doing 3 milers these days so it's not like I have to endure the slouchy top for a long time period. But I am glad I bought the new tech shirts because in these newly increased temps (it was about 85 at 7 pm), the running is HOT.

Aside from the shirt business, the 3 miler went pretty well. Jerry ran with me, so that was nice.

Now, my next maternity-running apparrel that I need to search for is some new bras. And I know I won't be able to find those for $9.99!

27 comments:

Jeri said...

Laying by the pool? I scooped snow today. Haha. So so jealous.

d.a.r. said...

I stink and never comment, but I have loved reading your blog about running through your pregnancy. It is such an inspiration to see someone staying so healthy and really listening to their body. I hope I can someday do the same!

Marci said...

I love that colour, cute shirt.

RunningLaur said...

The target shirt is a great deal! Looks cute too :)

JojaJogger said...

Check out Champion C9 sports bras at Target. I loaded up on a bunch of them at about $15 each awhile ago. I wear two and for me they provide much better support than way more expensive ones I've tried. Plus they come in really kewl colors.

Marlene said...

Laying by/in the pool sounds like a perfect way to spend the day. (JEALOUS!)

Glad to hear you found something to wear. Good luck with the bra search!

kristen said...

Good find. I totally agree. What's the point in paying so much for something that will only be usefull for a few weeks. good choice.

Kristen said...

I laid by the pool today too. It was so nice.

Totally agree with you on the shirts. No need to spend lots when you won't wear them very long.

Looks like you had a great weekend!

Jess said...

Good thinking buying cheaper large shirts for something you'll only wear for a little while!

J~Mom said...

Very smart on the shirt! It totally works!

Christie said...

Cute baby bump.

SavvyFitChica said...

Very cute... when you hold it out, it looks big up top, but in the "normal" picture, you can't really tell at all.

Don't you love living in a warm climate so you can lounge by the pool? Gosh, I love it.

Good luck looking for new sports bras... that's probably one of my least favorite activities.

Lily on the Road said...

Ohhh, warmth and a pool, you are sooo lucky, it snowed here Sunday and they are calling for more today and tomorrow....

Shannon said...

I kinda wanted to see you running in just the bra and shorts. LOL....

What book ya reading?

Erin said...

You'll be glad you bought the large in another month or two. It doesn't look overly large until you pulled it to the side. LOL!Glad you feel comfortable and are keeping at it.

Pool time looked nice but didn't you roast? It sure was a scorcher yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day. Enjoy them while you can. Glad you were able to find some tops. I really like the color.

Unknown said...

You look cute in your new gear:)

Wes said...

I get all my tech shirts at Walmart :-) unless of course, I pick them up in a race, but... what works for me, works :-)

Razz said...

that's it. I need to move. :) Hey, I need you to email me if you have time.

Oz Runner said...

i really need to move to florida.....

X-Country2 said...

Ah, I can't wait to lay by the pool.

Unknown said...

Oh man...I love the smell of the pool's chlorine. I miss that !!! Summer.. hurry up !!!

Aron said...

I wish I had a pool to lay at yesterday :)

score on the tops!! those will be perfect!

teacherwoman said...

I love the sale rack at Scheel's and when I find something I usually let myself by a handful as they are such a good deal!

Unknown said...

I wouldn't mind some time by the pool right about now. Good choice to go with a comfortable size that will get you through so you don't have to go back and buy more. Enjoy your sun and send some to the northwest if you get tired of it.

lifestudent said...

Just reading some old posts ...
I never once put on a swimsuit during pregnancy, and havent since Brooke. Thats 13 months!

L*I*S*A said...

Seriously, could you get any cuter?