TAT CN Header

Thursday, April 26, 2007

I Hate Paint: A Diatribe

I actually don't hate paint, I love paint, but I hate it when paint does not turn out how I envision it. Currently, we are painting several rooms in our condo that flow together: the kitchen, the entry way, the living room and dining room, and it's a pain in the ass to get the colors to be cohesive within the rooms.

The yellow I chose for the kitchen turned out to be much brighter than I wanted, and I feel like it's a giant pad of butter. I love the red I chose for one wall in the living room/dining room, but the coordinating brown looks more like orange, so the combo of the three colors makes me want to pull my hair out (I swear, when I looked at them on the paint cards, I was envisioning something sophisticated, not something from PlayLand).

The brown (that looks like orange) clearly has to be re-done (since husband refuses to change the kitchen). That means one more thing to do....ahhhhh! I need one of three things: an army of trained monkeys, a troup of helpful elves, or a gaggle of gnomes; if any of you have these handy-dandy creatures in your employ, please send them to my house.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished painting my house all the same colors...red in the dinning room, yellow in the kitchen (although we went with a spicy mustard yellow) and brown in the living room. I would highly recommend the Ralph Lauren colors. The brown we chose was from their "Urban Loft" collection. We went with "Cobblestone" and "Neutral Brown". You can get those paint samples at any Home Depot. Good luck!

Erin said...

I don't have elves or trained monkeys but I said I would assist in the repaint. I am good with a roller for the main part (you will have to bribe someone else to do the trim or ceiling edge).

teacherwoman said...

I would love to help with the paining...if I was in FL! I love to paint.. I just don't like the cleanup and preparation part!

I am sure it will all work out!

MNFirefly said...

Oh no! I am very careful when I paint. I am looking forward to doing the same thing later this summer to early fall. Painting is therapeutic.

miss petite america said...

painting is ridiculous. i once had my bf at the time paint a wall 3 different colors until i was satisfied.

good luck with it. it can get really tiring really fast.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
Someone actually emailed Bob and asked him what happened to his blog and he said that it was taking too much time away from his family and other obligations. I can't remember where I read it, though. If you want to contact him, just send your email to the address on my page and I'll send you the address I have for him.

RunMama said...

I love to paint! I would be glad to fly down. It would give a good excuse to move back to FL too. We painted out kitchen blood red and our great room mustard yellow. For a while I thought I lived at McDonald's but then we got the furniture and paintings in and it looked great.

Krista said...

I count painting as excellent strength training -- I feel like my arms are going to fall off by the time I'm done with one wall. good luck!

J~Mom said...

I have little little gnomes that I would be happy to send your way...

ws said...

I don't paint - that would explain the white walls in my condo. However, if you find elves in South Florida, let me know. I could use some to keep the kitchen clean, garbage empty and dishes washed.

Neese said...

ah i wish we would paint a couple of our rooms, you'll be happy you put in the extra effort to make it right!

Anonymous said...

HOpe you paint turns out well in the end.

vance said...

Entrance halls are by nature an area where you don't spend a lot of time, it's a great opportunity to be brave and use a really exciting colour. For Designer impact try using a high shine Full Gloss on the walls. Colours such as Coffee, Lafayette or Pink Sky (all by Ralph Lauren) work beautifully when mixed with lots of white woodwork and mouldings in traditional spaces or colour blocked on one wall in highgloss in modern spaces with framed artwork grouped on it.
ralph lauren paint