TAT CN Header

Friday, April 06, 2007

The Bloggers Have Spoken

The responses to yesterday's post have certainly helped me to decide about Chicago: I'm going to sign up today!

And then take 3 weeks off running.

Yup. I do really want to be there for Chicago, but in order to do that, I think I need to give my knee some serious rest. So, I will take a real hiatus from running and will resume training the first week in May with short runs to re-build my base.

It's scary to think about taking so much time off running, but I think it's necessary in order to rehabilitate my knee. I also plan to follow the PT's stretching regimen, which was prescribed weeks ago and which I have kinda followed. I will ice, take IB, rest, stretch, and hopefully all of that will alleviate the problem. Also, my husband is going to MacGyver a foam roller for me -- or, if anyone knows of a good place online to buy one (that is not where I will pay $20 for a stick of foam -- I mean a good roller recommendation), let me know.

Thanks for all the support -- looks like I'll be seeing many of you in Chicago! Woo-hoo!!

10 comments:

keith said...

good luck with the rest...it's so hard not to do something you love. i go bananas when i'm tapering or resting an injured part.

it'll be worth it, though!

runner26 said...

Sweet! I think you have a great plan. What really helped me with the knee (ITBS) was acupuncture. I had three once-a-week treatments, and a few more follow up visits and have been fine since. Of course, I stretch, ice, strength train, and stretch some more, but acupuncture was what really did it. Best of luck!! It will be fun to "train" together :)

Triseverance said...

Good call, and yes join in stretching and icing. But don't forget the strenth aspect. Some say it is the root of the injury.

Anonymous said...

You won't regret it. Enjoy your rest.

MNFirefly said...

Rest, rest, rest. It will really help. I am SO glad that you are doing Chicago. I second Runner26 on accupuncuture. It really helps ALOT!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a smart plan to get your knee back up to top condition. Chicago sounds like it will be a fun marathan...in a wonderfully city! You and your DH should make plans to stay an extra day or two to have some fun!

Taunya said...

Congrats on your decision.
You'll have a great time and will be ready.

teacherwoman said...

I have definitely thought about doing Chicago as well. It just depends on where I end up moving to this summer. Sounds like a good idea to take a few weeks off and really heal the body!

ws said...

Hi - I found your blog through Miss Petite America. I live up in West Palm Beach and ordered myself a foam roller a few months ago. For some reason the 36" one was less expensive than the 18" one, so I bought the longer one and then chopped it in half. If you are interested in the other half, leave me a comment with your email and I can ship you the other half. Wendy

Anonymous said...

Congrats with signing up for the marathon! Good luck with everything. Btw, did you check out this new Reebok Run Easy campaign? They have a new site with some cool offerings. The site is at www.goruneasy.com.