TAT CN Header

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Carpe Diem

The suddenness of our friend Lou's death has me reflecting about how short life is. I know it's cliche, but when someone dies suddenly at the age of 50 -- leaving so much behind (or when they are gunned down at age 19 or 20, as we've also seen happen this week) -- it reminds those of who are still living of the value of life, and the responsibility we have to that life.

Lou was someone who thoroughly enjoyed his family, his friends, his work, and his hobbies (NASCAR and bowling were what he shared with us); life simply emanated from him -- I always saw him with a smile on his face and arms open and ready for a hug (he also frequently offered advice on my bowling stance or swing :). I'm saddened that the world has been robbed of him and that spirit; yet for the rest of us, it's a lesson on how to live our lives.

There's no time like the present to make sure we embrace our loved ones, let them know how important they are to us, and pursue the dreams and goals we have for our futures -- deferring that which we want to accomplish is foolish. All of this seems an apt lesson for me on the eve of my birthday; it's a reminder of all that I've experienced and lived and what I have before me as well. The year before me, and each year to follow, and each year that has preceded, is precious, and I'm thankful I have so many people to share it with.

Thanks Lou for teaching us and reminding us about how full our lives truly are. Even in death, you sought to show us something.

"No more to build on there. And they, since they
Were not the one dead, turned to their affairs."
--Robert Frost "Out, Out--"

6 comments:

Erin said...

Very well stated Jess. I have wanted to write something on my blog about Lou but after posting about Cathy's death recently, I just felt worn out. The sudden loss of two very special people does shed some light on how to live life better and cherish every moment.

I think bowling is going to be tough this season mainly because part of the fun was seeing Lou. Same with NASCAR. Lou left us with many good memories so even in our sorrow, I can't help but smile when I think about him and those funny white bowling shoes!

teacherwoman said...

Well written and all so very true. What a reminder to all of us to be thankful for everything.

brunettechicagogal said...

First, I am sorry about your friend. It really sucks, plain and simple. I was especially struck by the Frost excerpt; I'm a huge fan, but I'm not familiar with this poem. It seems quite appropriate, and his straightforward use of language is especially poignant.

Happy birthday. I am sure it'll be a bittersweet one.

miss petite america said...

beautiful jess.

MNFirefly said...

Very nice post, Jess.

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute to your friend.


And happy birthday!