TAT CN Header

Monday, February 11, 2013

What to Do, What to Do

So, in 6 days, I'm running the A1A half marathon and I don't have a reliable Garmin.

The 305, which briefly seemed revived after a software update, resumed its previous comatose state, and shortly thereafter, my 110 followed suit.  Garmins, sheesh, they're SO cliquey!

Occassionally, some combination of random button-pushing, time on their respective chargers, and prayers received by the Garmin Gods, spontaneously turns them on, but then, tired, they got back into what I now think of as "rest" mode. 

Because of my own combination of procrastination and delusional belief that I can fix things on my own, sending either one in to Garmin headquarters for repair and getting it back in time for the race is no longer an option.

Can I run a race "blind"? 

I'm sure I can, but I really don't want to.

Which leaves me with one or two race day options: A.) Buy a new Garmin or, B.) Cross my fingers, sacrifice a chicken, and work what voodoo I can.

Either one seems a legit possibility.

7 comments:

James said...

If you have an iphone or android, you can use Runkeeper, or other tracking software. It's not ideal, but if you don't want to run blind, it'll get you through the race. Plus, you can use it to play music if you're planning to.

Unknown said...

beg, borrow, steal? Is there anyone you can borrow one from?

Anonymous said...

I have run several races blind, including a half marathon. Actually enjoyed myself and still submitted a good time.

Carolina John said...

run it naked! It's good to go by feel. Set your expectations based on perceived exertion and I bet you'll put up a better time than expected.

B. Kramer said...

There are not enough dead chickens in the blogging realm. Let the blood flow. Cheers!

LOMTFTL said...

Ran 2 full marathons and 13 half marathons and never cared about my time. Look around and enjoy the race. Unless you plan on winning then who cares!

Alice said...

Third option. Buy a cheap stop watch and print out a race pace sheet and slap that baby on your wrist with packing tape. I've been there and the watch + total times per Km (Canada eh) kept me on track.

Just a thought.