TAT CN Header

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Looking Back at September

I know, I know, we're already 4 days into October, but I never had a chance to review September, so here goes:

The month started strong, and then I was struck down by disease and was basically reduced to running the bare minimum for 2 solid weeks.  I went from running 40 mile weeks to eeking out 15 mile weeks.  I'm not sure which upset me more: Feeling like crap every single day for 2 weeks, or having to reign in the mileage so dramatically.

In the end, I ran 113 miles in September -- the lowest monthly mileage in my streak so far -- but, hey, I still broke 100 miles, so that makes me feel decent.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any real long runs done as I'd hoped, so while I had tentatively been thinking of an HM at the end of this month or beginning of next, I think I'm going to have to skip those opportunities and aim for a late Nov or early Dec HM to round out the year.

Ultimately, it sucks that I spent 10 of the month's 30 days suffering from a mysterious illness, but the streak survived.  There were a few days there last week when I almost threw in the towel, but phew, I sure am glad I didn't!  I may have run more 1 milers than I would've liked, but at least I ran them.

So, on to October!

I plan to continue streaking (especially now that I'm a mere 4 days away from reaching 100 consecutive days), and this month, for serious, I want to start logging some long runs.

This week, I have been taking it pretty easy.  Each day this week I've been feeling better by small increments, but I don't want to push myself too hard when this virus has clearly sucker-punched me.  So, I've been sticking to 3 milers, but hopefully, tomorrow and this weekend (fingers crossed), I'm feeling good enough to log a little farther distances.

One thing I can say for certain about being sick for a long period of time: It makes you appreciate feeling healthy!  For the past couple of mornings when I wake up and don't feel totally awful, I'm like "Yay!  This is awesome!"

8 comments:

Erin said...

100 days of streaking is amazing! Glad you are finally starting to feel better.

B. Kramer said...

Jeez, Louise, your lowest month was still more than a hundred miles? Maybe I should try a streak.

Carolina John said...

You're a great streaker! Rock on. You'll get those long runs up in mileage soon enough.

One other thing we can all take solace in, if Viper does start streaking at least he won't post pictures. Bazinga!

Carly said...

Great job on the streaking! Sorry about the virus. Sounds horrible.

Julie D said...

Yeah, totally am one of those, "Ah, to feel normal again would be great." And then when I'm normal, I only notice for a short time. So is life.

Unknown said...

glad you are feeling better. great mileage, especially being sick

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Great job sticking with it while you were sick for so long! Wow your 100 days went so quickly.

Enjoy getting back to those longer runs. They can be so refreshing, mentally and physically.

Rodent Control Topeka said...

Thhis was lovely to read