TAT CN Header

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Cross Train Tuesday

I am the sort of runner who runs and...rests. I really don't do any other kind of exercise. Occassionally, I do some yoga, and occassionally, I do some weight training, but by "occassionally," I mean like once a month. Or so.

So, in an effort to remedy this and in devising my new training schedule for the HMs I mentioned yesterday, I decided to incorporate some cross training on Tuesdays and Fridays. Problem? I don't have a gym membership, so I have to look elsewhere to find methods for cross training. Problem solver? On Demand.

Even though I have long known that On Demand has exercise programs, I've never really thought to explore it and see what's there. What I discovered is that there's a plethora of programs on there -- all for free! There's everything from yoga to Jillian Michaels to a variety of aerobics and strength training programs; in fact, there was so much to chose from, I felt a little overloaded trying to select something for today.

In the end, I decided to do a 15 min yoga ab program, and it worked out perfectly. I like short, concise workouts when it comes to any form of strength training and this worked out very well: It was challenging, so I felt like I got a decent little workout, but because of its short length, I didn't get bored.

For Friday's XT, I'm thinking of testing out that She-Devil Michaels and doing Shred 1. I'll let you know how it goes.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the cross training - I was never good with that either.

Stephanie said...

I'm horrible at doing workout things in my own house. I find I have to leave in order to really accomplish anything, otherwise I get distracted (usually by the couch or chocolate). Have fun with it!

teacherwoman said...

Good luck with Jillian... she's a biatcho! LOL

MCM Mama said...

I've never done an on demand workout, but we just got fios, so I bet I've got some workout channels somewhere...

Oz Runner said...

i just discovered the on demand workouts too recently...i agree, they are great

lifestudent said...

I was doing those when we had Comcast...havent thought about checking out what DirectTV offers. Hmm...

Heather said...

I think that's awesome that they offer all that stuff for free. I'm excited to hear what you think about the Shred!

X-Country2 said...

I lifted for the first time in almost a year today. Baaaaad idea. Very very bad.

Anonymous said...

LOL. My cross train days are usually rest days for me. I never knew that On Demand had stuff like that- I will have to check it out!

Marilie said...

Nice! I need to get better at cross training as well. Running is great, but I need more toning for all my muscles. I want to try yoga, and I also need to get back with my weight training. Luckily the building where my job is, provides a gym for all building tenants, free of charge.

Marci said...

Great idea cross training, now that my marathon is over, I need to get on that train!

Shannon said...

You could start a strength training program at home, using your own body weight. It's so important for runners such as yourself to continue to weight train. Hit me up sista for some exercises. Good job!

MN Mom said...

Never knew on demand had anything like that.

Anonymous said...

XT is a great idea, especially with all your halfs! It can be fun too do switch things up. Good job Jess.

Wes said...

good core stuff will make you a better runner!

Unknown said...

What a great source of free workouts. I always stink at cross-training too. I run, then on the days I don't run I don't want to do anything. Good luck with Shred, I've heard it's tough!

Jess said...

I tried to do a Yoga thing once on exercise TV and didn't like it, but it was long and boring. Glad you found something you like!

Krissy said...

I have done the Jillian workouts before they are good! I just have trouble making it a consistent thing but they are a good workout.

Marlene said...

I've learned to incorporate cross-training into my schedule and I really think it is improving my running as well.

Good luck with the Shred. It's a doozie.

Anonymous said...

I liked the Shred. It's 20 minutes, so it's over very quickly.

I'm okay with cross training when I'm not training for a race. When I am, I can never seem to fit it in.

Julie D said...

I've always cross-trained when injured, but now it's a greta way to work out when I'm too lazy to run. You'll get the hang of it!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Great job getting in the cross training. I lifted the other day...ouch! I just don't do it enough.

I can wait to hear about Shred! I have a bunch of Jillian's workouts and haven't done them.

sRod said...

Wait, what? That's BRILLIANT! I have to see what the Time Warner offering is here.