TAT CN Header

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Class Clusterf*@k

This evening was my last evening of my Tuesday class. It was only 3 weeks long, but that was enough. It was a review session for the CLAST (College Level Academic Skills Test) in grammar. Grammar is easy to teach, but boh-ring, so I was glad to be done with it. On the plus side, it's just a review class to help students prepare for the standardized test, so I didn't have to grade anything. Bonus.

And...I had one of my students from that class tell me that I was a great teacher and that she'd never had someone explain things so clearly and effectively for her. Sah-weeet. Keep that in mind -- if you need someone to explain pronoun case or verb tense consistency to you (or maybe you're confused about dangling modifiers?), I'm your gal.

Of course, ask me to add 7 + 8 and you'll need to give me a few moments...

In other class news (because I'm sure you're dying to know, and in actuality, because I have nothing else to blog about), I was going to be taking over this night class for a colleague -- she's preggers and I guess last week they thought she was going to need to be on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy -- however, now I'm not. I guess whatever was wrong with her is better now, and while I am gonna sub for the class tomorrow night, she plans to return on Monday evening. Great, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't want a night class (especially one that met for two nights a week), nor did I want the added class (this is summer for Christ's sake and I should be spending my days lounging by the pool!).

Plus, I came out of the deal looking like a rockstar because my department chair is grateful to me for being flexible and accommodating, the colleague now thinks I'm supah nice, and well, I think I created some good work karma. And karma, in general, is always good, especially for me; because ya never know when fate will boomerang back and bitch slap you, and good karma comes in handy then. At least, it always works out well for Earl.

16 comments:

Kevin said...

Ahh the dreaded clast test. I remember that...from my days at Beer Can College. I wonder if the students still call it that?

Viv said...

LMAO I love Earl!! And I believe in the karma.

Way to get the brownie points with the dept chair.

OK so can I pay you in Bud Lights for a grammar lesson while I am in Ft. Lauderdale next month??

Scott McMurtrey said...

i think grammar is pretty easy to. butt i write good. so it will alway's came easy too me.

Brianna said...

Ah, Earl. We can all learn a few things from him, can't we? Way to go up to bat for your co-worker. Seems it worked out well for everyone!

Marcy said...

Oy, I'd hate to know how many red pen marks would be on my blog after you got done with it LOL

Anonymous said...

I could use a grammer lesson to refresh my skills! It was really nice of you to help out with the co-worker, I am sure it eased her mind knowing she didn't have to worry about work.

Anonymous said...

I totally need to download your grammar neurons into my brain. Glad you get to enjoy the rest of your summer.

Wes said...

No, no! You are right! Karma is good for you, 'specially on bowling night :-)

Mendy said...

I was thinking the same thing as Marcy - red pen marks ALL over my blog.

LOVE Earl, and good karma is - well... good. Good for you. Enjoy your books. When I was in B&N this past weekend, I kept telling David - there's that book Jess liked and I can't remember the title of it. So, I'm always listening to your book reviews.

Junie B said...

8+7?

I HATE math...Have I said that lately? I am having to do quadratic equations and crap like that...I just need to PASS. At this point I dont care about GPA.

:o)

chia said...

They should rename it to College Level Academic Proficiency.

That way, everyone can have the "CLAP."

*ba dum dump*

Living vicariously through other people's acronyms for commonly contracted STD's.

sRod said...

How good are you at teaching spelling? As in the appropriate number of Vs in the word gravy?

MN Mom said...

Yea that bitch-slapping is a bummer.

Jess said...

Sweet for the good kharma and for being a rocking teacher. Sentences with dangling participles/misplaced modifiers are totally my favorite to edit haha. I'm such a nerd!

Stuart said...

Ah yes it's always good to have a couple of karma credits...I don't leave home without them!

Crissy Rae said...

Good karma is always needed in life so it's good you are stocked up for awhile.