TAT CN Header

Friday, August 10, 2007

Lesson Learned

I just have to face it: Without beer, I suck at bowling. As was demonstrated in my first game last night. See, I arrived at the alley sporting a bottle of water and my goal was to try and "be good"; of course, I kinda struggle when it comes to any form of moderation, especially with alcohol, so I was gonna hold off for a bit with the drinking, so as to ensure that I not drink too much. But, in my first game, on nothing but water, I was sporting a score of 47 going into the 8th frame. Not good.

So, I went to the bar and got myself a beer. Just one.

Came back, had a few sips, went up to the lane and bowled a strike. Thus, I was able to at least pull off an 88 in the first game (still dismal), but I didn't start closing frames until I'd had that sweet elixir. By the second game, I'd had that first beer, plus a glass or two out of a pitcher, and I'd hit my stride. Second game: 141.

The last game tapered off some and was not so great, but I think it was somewhere around 116; thus, the lesson learned? I need beer to bowl. It's science. Unfortunately, I only have one week left of league (there's actually 2 weeks left, but next week is my last week b/c classes start the following week and I will have a Thursday night class this fall, so I'll miss the last night of league), so there's only one more week to try and tweek the alcohol/bowling ratio and I doubt my team is gonna pull itself up out of 5th (maybe we can land in 4th) place. That's okay. We're just there to have fun.

And for today? What, bowling doesn't count as cross training yesterday? (Never mind the fact that I take in more calories in beer than I expend in bowling.) Well, I did not get up early this morning (stayed up until after midnight last night in order to watch "Hot Fuzz" again with some homies -- the movie was just as funny and just as awesome with a second viewing), but it is raining, so hopefully it's a little cooler out there today. I'm hoping to do a short 3 miles this afternoon or evening; I want to keep today's run short because tomorrow morning I have my long run with the group.

9 comments:

Krista said...

Well if this isn't scientific proof, I don't know what is!

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Sounds totally scientific to me as well....but I think you should do some additional research and re-validate your statistics.....

runner26 said...

I love it--it's science! Good luck on your long run tomorrow!

Marcy said...

I hear you on the moderation and alcohol thing. Usually for me it's either go all out or don't bother :-/ I'm sure you'll come up with some kind of formula LOL

J~Mom said...

We better start logging these experiments.

ws said...

I expect a full statistical regression - I remember you did some calculation involving groups of 12 so math sounds like your favorite discussion.

I don't believe in moderation. If I'm going to drink I'm going to get drunk. period. end of story. So, I need to pick my moments and make sure I enjoy them.

Have fun tomorrow at the group run...

MNFirefly said...

Wow! That's science!

L*I*S*A said...

Beer and bowling. It's a pair to not be messed with.

Rich said...

This sounds like it could stretch into a lifelong experiment for you!