TAT CN Header

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Baker's Dozen

This morning I got up at 3:45 again (not an hour I relish) in order to get ready and get to the group run by 5 am. The run went pretty well, and I did a total of 13 miles this morning. I think my partner and I went out too fast in the first 5 (we were averaging a 10:08 pace and my long run pace should really be about 10:45-11:00), and that kinda hurt the both of us later because in the last 2 miles of our 13, we were both wearing down. But we finished it up and learned our lesson: next week, slow down.

But what made it hard as well is what's been making this whole week unbearable: the heat and humidity. At 4 am, I checked weather.com and it was 85 degrees plus humidity, so you know that by 6 am on the road, it was in the low 90s. The sweat was just dripping off us and our clothes were entirely soaked. Plus, in the past two weeks, the horseflies have been swarming to me like a fat kid to a cupcake. This morning, I got bit at least 3 times, and I'm sportin bites all over from the past week's runs (they turn into small welts on me that itch like crazy!). Damn flies. The city needs to lay down a blanket of pesticide (screw the environmental consequences, I want those fuckers dead) to eradicate them.

Anyway, despite the heat, the flies, and my little rant there, it was good to get the 13 done this morning and have another good group run. Next week, the coach told me I should aim for 18. Yikes. Kinda freaks me out to be thinking of those distances, but I have to get em done, and I do like having someone to consult with about my schedule and tell me what to run. Makes me feel like I have to do it.

Well, I'm gonna finish my giant bottle of Smart Water, stretch, and then chill out. Enjoy your Saturday!

12 comments:

ws said...

this week has been awful. I'm not great at the slow down thing, so having a running partner is definitely a huge benefit.

I check weather.com in the morning also, though I really have no idea why - it is going to be over 80F and I'm not sensitive enough to detect the difference in temperature between the 7th and 8th circles of hell. I feel like the sweat drips, but rather than dripping off of me it just creates a puddle in my sneakers. Then, once I get back inside and to cooler air it drips off of me and makes a puddle on the floor. gross, I know, sorry. this week has been particularly bad and the last few days I've finished with my t-shirt in my hand because I felt like it was just trapping the warm air between my shirt and my body.

more details than you needed, I know, but I've been looking at data all morning, words are more interesting.

Wes said...

I would be concerned about any recommendation that increases your mileage by more than 10% in one week. On the Galloway plan I did, it was 10% one week, then the following week a three miler, then another 10%. Your plan. Your body! I'm sure those horse flies are keeling over after biting you. Run naked :-)

Scott McMurtrey said...

Nice run!! I can't believe how hot it is that early. Fat kids do like cupcakes, that's for sure. White icing and sprinkles.

L*I*S*A said...

Way to get the job done!!! I know what you mean about humidity. We've had our fair share here in MI.

Never mind the fact that when I'm finished, I could easily salt 12 margarita glasses.

Anonymous said...

Wow - great run and so darn early and in the heat. One thing that works for my bug/fly bites - buy childrens benadryl in the liquid and put a drop or two on each - works magic.

J~Mom said...

Great job!! That is a great run and you got up to do it! Are you grouchy now like me or still hanging in there?

brunettechicagogal said...

Boy, I do miss those long runs and the smell of body glide, the salt residue on my face and clothes, and the feeling that I'd really accomplished something. But I do NOT miss early mornings and pea-soup humidity. Ugh. Good job on getting through it!

Marcy said...

Horseflies?!? Awwhhhhhhh hell naw!! Are you serious?!? Those things HURT like a mo-foer!

Sweet job chica!! You're the woman! ;D

MNFirefly said...

OMG! You are much better than me. Great job!

teacherwoman said...

I couldn't imagine doing any sort of physical activity in that temperature/humidity! nice job!

Way to get-r-done!

Anonymous said...

You got up at 3.45am to run? That is dedication.

I'm obsessed with the weather.com too. I have the icon on my toolbar, so I click it 30 times a day.

Mendy said...

Jess - Great job on getting your run in!! even with the horseflies distraction. That's wayyyy early - but makes sense in the whole scheme of things.

18 will be no problem for ya!