TAT CN Header

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Follow-Up to Saturday's Dismal Group Run

This is the email I received this evening from the running group's coach:

Hey there!
I did not see you after the run on Sat. Are you ok?

Please tell me you had someone to run with > I apologize I lost track of you and Michelle.

Will you be out there this week?
Coach T

Below was my response; what do you guys think?

Good evening,

Yes, I'm fine, and I appreciate you checking up on me. But I'll be honest, I was pretty upset after Saturday's run. I ended up alone, and while the route was fairly straight forward and I easily found my way back, I was discouraged by being left behind and by myself. Frankly, my interest in a running group was not to run solo.

When I finished my run yesterday, I was a bit upset and, honestly, in no mood to socialize, so I quickly headed home. I'm no longer upset, and my wish is not to upset any kind of group dynamic, but I certainly have to seriously question if this group is right for me. Everyone just may be too fast for my level of running.

I will be out of town the next two weekends in a row, but I would like to give the group another go. If it's just not the right fit, I would appreciate recommendations for others who may be a bit slower and better able to accommodate my pace. Again, thanks for checking up -- that does make me feel better, and I will certainly return in two weeks on Saturday, August 4 for the long run; hopefully, this Saturday's lonesome run was a fluke.

Thanks,
Jess

I'm glad she checked up with me about the run since it did NOT go well (see Saturday morning's post below if you missed it), but at the same time I wanted her to honestly know how I felt about it. Do you guys think my response was appropriate?

*BTW, in response to some previous comments: This group is a formal group and I do have to pay for the training and the group runs (although, I have not paid yet -- had check ready on Saturday but then after the disappointing run, shoved it back in my purse). So, you'd think this would call for a higher level of professionalism (or maybe "athleticism"), right?

17 comments:

brunettechicagogal said...

Oh, my goodness. If this is a formal group that you have to pay for, there is absolutely no excuse for what happened. Your response is totally in line. When I was a pace group leader for the Chicago Area Runners Association's marathon training group runs, we were told to stay back with anyone who was running slower than the rest of the group or who was struggling in any way. I'm a bit appalled!

David said...

I agree, if this is that formal of a group, there should be distance AND pace groups set up for everyone, even if the leader(s) have to suck it up and run slower and/or shorter than they are capable of.

I would have been pissed too, given it was an experience you pay for. Don't sweat your response; it may not be the right group for you, and the group leader needs to know that they dropped the ball.

Anonymous said...

I think your response was very professional, yet passionate -if that makes sense. You really got your point across without sounding whiney (spelling?). Good for you! Hope the next group run goes well!

Scott McMurtrey said...

I think your response was just fine. You let her know that there is an issue that maybe she wasn't aware of. And with that you made it clear that you are taking the group serious and want to get out of it what you are paying for. If this isn't the group for you then so be it. I've never run with groups like this but I would expect for the leaders to accommodate the runner(s) - and if they can't then let the runner(s) know that maybe it's not the right group for them before something happens like in your Saturday run.

miss petite america said...

your response was perfect. at the very least it's a customer service thing. you paid for something and you should get it. and if you can't, you'll take your money and time somewhere else.

it does take time to get adjusted to a new group and i think you're being very reasonable.

ws said...

It is a totally reasonable response, irrelevant of whether you have already paid for membership or not. Considering that she took the time to follow-up with you, I think she probably is a decent person and will make an effort to resolve the issue.

Alison said...

Great response. I didn't realize this was a formal group, in which case you definitely deserve to be pissed off (especially if the group run was marketed toward all abilities. And even if it wasn't, honestly, you're not that slow). When I started biking, I went on a formal group ride and was dropped almost immediately by about 45 people. Luckily the coach turned around and helped ride me in. If it weren't for that gesture, I would've probably stopped biking forever.

Erin said...

I think that was a warranted response. I am glad the coach at least checked on you-too bad it was a day later!

Marcy said...

I absolutely agree with what everyone else has said. Wow, I didn't realize you had to pay. Even still it shouldn't have happened.

I agree with Wendy also. From her response I think you'll see some changes next go around :-)

L*I*S*A said...

I think it's a great response in regard to the run. I think it's important to have people of all levels represented in a group.

I would have felt the same way, cuz my slow ass would be all the way in the back. Grrrrr....

Wes said...

I like your response, and I consider it very appropriate. I'm also glad that you realize that nobody is perfect and are willing to give them another chance. That says a lot about you. I hope your next run goes much better, and if not, then most definitely move on.

BTW: Where is the obligatory beer in the picture with the puppy ;-)

Triseverance said...

Well done and well handled, BTW I would run with you anytime. :-) Hope the IT is holding up well.

teacherwoman said...

I think your letter back to her is perfect! Well written and very honest. It was nice of her to check on you!

Krista said...

Totally appropriate, and I wish I had the guts to be as straight-forward as you. I would have played it off as no big deal ...
Hopefully they respond to your issues.

Mendy said...

I think that's a perfectly appropriate response. It's honest, not insulting, and to the point, but shows your concerns. I think you handled it right, and like others - I agree that if you have to pay, then you should never get left behind at all, especially when it comes to safety. Sounds good that she emailed you in regards to it, though, and that she might resolve the problem!

Neese said...

Jess, that was wonderfully handled. I totally understand the sleeplessness that followed, and it's unfortunate that we have to doubt ourselves when we are merely sticking up for ourselves. I'm SO proud of you for writing that I wish I would of done the same thing in my circumstance!

Mom tried decaf once said...

I am glad that you said something!! I didn't realize that you had to pay either!!!!!!!!!! I would be soooo mad!!!!!!!!