TAT CN Header

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Blushing Bride

Every woman wants to look perfect for her wedding day. That's why there are dozens of books, articles, and websites that dispense advice about weight loss, beauty tricks, make-up hints, hair guides, and skin secrets. A bride has to be concerned with everything in her appearance from the shining whiteness of her teeth to the touch of fat under her arms. That's a lot of stuff to think about.

I'm getting married in six weeks, and up until this point I can't say I've honestly thought too much about any of this. True, I have been trying to lose weight, but I'm always trying to lose weight, and the wedding date hasn't really prompted me to kick the effort into high gear. But suddenly I am thinking about facials, tanning, pedicures, manicures, teeth whitening, and more. I am suddenly posessed with an uncharacteristic need to be pretty, and am especially thinking about the need to look thin. So, I turned to those books, articles, and websites to see what they have to offer.

Essentially, there's no miracle "pretty" pill out there -- so my first hope was dashed. And what they do advise for weight loss is what I'm already practising: exercise regularly, eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks, and get plenty of sleep (I try to never cut myself short in that department). I already feel good about what I'm doing for exercise, and I want a program that I can commit to for the long term; I don't just want to lose a few pounds before the pictures flash and then beef up the day after we're married. I've seen friends and family members who literally starve themselves for months before the wedding only to let themselves become careless once the "big day" has passed. That's what's great about my running: I know it will take me awhile to reach my goals, so it's something I can work on over the long term.

After thinking about it, I decided to not worry -- it's really not my character to worry anyway, why start now? Plus, that dress hides most of what makes me insecure about my body anyhow; it's not like I will be taking my vows in a bikini (that would call for some serious dieting -- I would probably have to put down the ice cream sandwiches). I just need to concern myself with being comfortable and having fun, and those are two things I know I can do. Besides, it's the inside that makes you beautiful, right?

No comments: