TAT CN Header

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Big Changes

After several very positive job offers were considered, Jerry has accepted a position in Winston Salem, NC.  His tentative start date is set for mid-January.

It's an exciting move for him since it will offer him a step up in both pay and position and promises to be rich with opportunities for professional growth.

So that's awesome.

The kids and I won't be joining him in NC immediately, though, since after a few lengthy discussions with my Dean, I decided it was to my own professional benefit to stay and finish my academic contract and teach the remainder of the year.  So.  That's gonna be tough to be apart, and I'll be honest: the idea of full time Momming and full time teaching is intimidating, but I know I can do it.  Especially when I know there's an end in sight.

The big question will be: Will I be able to continue streaking?

10 comments:

Julie D said...

Wow, big changes! I'm rooting for you guys!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're going to have a tough semester, but it is only temporary. I'm sure you can do it.

I had to do the single mom, full time work thing for a short time when my kids were little as well due to Husband having a temp position in another state for a period of time. I empathize and know it isn't easy. But you're strong and you'll figure it out!

ps. congrats to him on his new job

Crissy Rae said...

Woo hoo! Looking forward to having you guys in our area.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Running 365 said...

Winston is a great city- for living and for running! I grew up very close to there and have family and friends that live there now so if you need any "local" advice, let me know!

B. Kramer said...

Congrats to Jerry on finding a new gig. Sorry it's at the expense of having to live apart briefly. My brother and his wife had to do that for a time, but they made it work. I'm sure you'll do the same. Best of luck. Cheers!

Carolina John said...

Yes that is a huge change! Plus, you should know that Winston is the corporate home of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

I love Winston-Salem! You can run there year round, there is a HUGE cycling community, it's only an hour away from the mountains and about 4 hours from the beach. Raleigh (where I'm at) is about 2 hours east. I still make it out there a couple of times a year for cycling things. Plus Wake Forrest university is there so you can still go to a U of Miami football game every other year.

It's different, no doubt. But once you get used to it you'll see that NC is a wonderful place to be. I absolutely love it here.

Jennifer said...

Congrats to him on the new job. Sounds exciting!

MCM Mama said...

Congrats to Jerry on the job! Good luck with the parenting/working thing. It will be challenging, but I know you can handle it.

And I'm excited that you are actually going to be driving distance from me...

Anonymous said...

You will really like North Carolina. You have gorgeous mountains, beach and really nice people.
The single mother thing would be a tough one though. I broke my teacher's contract and really regret it. Not that I've tried super hard to go back to work since kids, but it would be nice not having to explain it. Best of luck! :-)