TAT CN Header

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ego Boost

One of the best parts about running on the treadmill at the campus gym is being flanked by students, most of whom are a traditional age: 18-22.  So, why is it awesome running next to them?

Because I out-run them, that's why!

99.9% of the time (yes, I conducted a scientific study), I either run faster and/or farther.  This morning, for example, I ran 6 miles, and in that time, I got new tready neighbors 3 times -- one girl merely walked at a 1.5 speed for 10 minutes (I don't know if she went off and did something else more strenuous, but that pace/distance is about enough exertion to only burn the calories off a Tic Tac).

This is like a fuzzy blanket for my ego: I'm older, but when it comes to running, clearly, I'm more awesome.

Or, perhaps, I'm just WAY sweatier and smellier so they're eager to move along. 

I choose to go with the previous theory.

8 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

LMAO! Was that funded by the school? I do the same thing, just to get over my mental obstacle of being on the treadmill..... U R definitely more awesome......

fancy nancy said...

Nice ego boost right there!! I often think if I had gotten into running in college I would have really rocked it...I mean with all that time on my hands just imagine the long runs I could have done!!

Julie D said...

Heh, nice ego boost! Yeah, I totally would feel triumph whenever out "outlast" someone on the treadmill, especially if they're walking!!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I notice this at the gym when I was traveling in HK. I ran on the treadmill for an hour, I had to because it was sixteen hundred degrees outside and billion % humidity. I swear, no one gets in the treadmill and run/walk more than 10 min.....
I'm still lol-ing about burning off a tic tac

Erin said...

Was the walker a cute babe just hanging out to bump into a cute dude? She wouldn't want to really get sweaty if that's the case. You know no one works out in the gym in college for real during daylight hours if they are actually in college. I even made an appearance or two in the REC Center during my days at ol' BSU. It certainly wasn't to work out.

MCM Mama said...

LOL! Pretty sure you wouldn't even break a sweat like that...

Tiffany - Colorado Mama said...

You go girl!

Momshomerun said...

Good for you! I think I'm in much better shape now that I'm in my 40s than I was in my 20s! So I totally believe you about being better than the students.