TAT CN Header

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mileage

So, aside from streaking, I have a secondary goal I'm working toward: Mileage, baby, mileage.

Let me back up a little.  For me, a comfortable running week usually means 20-25 miles.  I generally consider 20 to be my "minimum" weekly mileage (although, I've definitely had weeks with FAR fewer miles than that ideal), and have happily trained for many races running no more than 25-30 miles a week.  And for the longest time, I thought that anything more than that was pure madness.

But, slowly, over the past year or so, my opinion has slowly changed. 

My principle influence?  Shelly.  She's been streaking for more than 2 years (801 days to be exact, but who's counting?  oh wait, she is!), AND she logs an average of 80 miles a week, AND she's a mother of 3, who -- up until just recently -- also worked full time.  And not only does she log those miles and do the same things the rest of us do, but she also does all this with THE most infectiously joyful attitude.

So, for the past 6 months or so, I've been using her as my "attitude idol" in terms of running, and I've secretly been internalizing her motto: "Running fills a place inside me that essential, not optional."  But, this month, I decided I was ready to proceed to the next level of modeling my running after hers: Time to streak, and time to pack in the miles.  Miles for miles' sake.

I have no races on the immediate horizon, so I am not training for anything.  Why not see how I can challenge myself in terms of volume?

For the past few weeks, I've been establishing a solid base by averaging 27-30 miles a week.  This week, then, is my intended "step up" week in which I'm shooting for 35 miles.  That means I have to average at least 5 miles a day.  Totally doable.  And, so far this week, I'm on track. 

So, where's this going? 

My intention is to build up to a 50 mile week.  I've never run such a week in my 7+ years of running.  Following my current plan of attack, I should reach that goal in mid-August.  From there?  I don't know.  We'll have to see.

7 comments:

MCM Mama said...

I think I've hit a few 40 mile weeks, but I'm pretty sure I've never busted past 50. Good luck. Right now I'm just happy nothing hurts when I run. LOL

James said...

I'm a much more low key mileage runner. Usually 2 mid-week runs of about 3-4 miles, and a long run anywhere from 6 to 20. Shelly is an inspiration to me too, but on the Ultramarathon front. She's run several that I'm looking at for my first. She's definitely a good role model, and I hope you can achieve your goals.

Carolina John said...

Wow, yea a 50 mile week is certainly intense! Great goal.

Anonymous said...

You, my dear, inspired me to run 4 miles last night......THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU....THANK YOU!!! Good luck with your new goal, if anyone can do it, you can!!!!

Amy said...

You can do it! I hit a 50 mile week while training for my last marathon. It was fine and crazily after that all the lower mileage weeks just seem more doable.

Mom, inc. said...

oh man, you are awesome!! what a great idea and goal.

Lohrenz said...

The cause of obesity is simple. If you consistently eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. By measure, 3,500 calories is equivalent to one pound of body weight.. thus, an excess intake of only 50 to 100 calories per day will lead to a 5 to 10 pound weight gain over 1 year. As a result, a relatively small imbalance between energy input and output can lead to significant weight gain over time. This would not happen with Healthy Snack Recipes at regular intervals. In fact, most obese children demonstrate a slow but consistent weight gain over several years without some kind of discipline towards food. The best way to affect the prevalence of obesity is to understand why it happens, and prevent it from happening. Bariatric surgery cost india The form of the drug produced and distributed by Gate Pharmaceuticals is a 37.5 milligram pill known as Adipex-P.