TAT CN Header

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Timing It Right

This morning, Norah and I got out for a 3 miler at 7:40 am, instead of 8 am. 20 minutes doesn't make a huge difference in temp, but it makes a slight difference, and sometimes, just a slight difference is enough to make it feel a little easier. Still, I was s-l-o-w and finished the miles in 31:18. Heat, combined with pushing the stroller, makes for a slow Jess. Eh, does it matter?

Anyhoo, some of you may be wondering why I can't get myself and Norah out the door any earlier; I know what you're probably thinking -- is it this: "She has a 10 month old baby, isn't she up at, like, the ass-crack of dawn?" Why, yes, yes I am. In fact, Norah was up at 6:10 this morning. So, why does it take me 90 minutes to get us out for a run?

Let me break it down for you:

For one, I am not, and have never been, the sort of person to get up, get my running clothes on and directly head out for a run. I need to wake up. And it takes at least 30 minutes for me to fully wake up -- and I prefer that no one talk to me during that 30 minute buffer either. In a perfect world, I would get to drink a few cups of coffee and just stare out into space during those 30 minutes. That's what I used to do pre-Norah, and even what I managed to do when she was a wee-babe. But now? Uh-huh.

As soon as she's up, she's up. And she's ready to explore the entire house. So, I'm just pouring my coffee and she's already checking out the bathroom: Like her dad, she prefers to browse magazines about cigars and fantasy football while in the john.
And if I even turn around for a second, before I know it, she's across the house and in the office:
So, during my initial 30-minute wake up time, I am slurping down caffeine and trying to keep track of this little love nugget.

After that, we have breakfast, then take Scooter for a walk -- which takes for.ev.er. because that dog can't walk 5 feet without having to stop, sniff, and pee on something -- then, Scooter needs a solid 10 minutes of "toy time" and then we're finally ready to get going.

I can't compress that routine to anything less than about 90 minutes -- and sometimes it takes longer. In fact, I was pretty impressed with our 7:40 exodus this morning!

18 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Yikes, I'm exhausted just reading about this activity before 7:30am....good for you ladies to live it up early in the day!!

Charbelle said...

She's just so cute, that last picture it's as if she's contemplating what to pull out next!
One thing is for certain, you can not rush the dog when the dog is doing doggy business. Even when you're running late you have to let them sniff and move before they squat!

ajh said...

It all sounds good! You're enjoying your time with Norah and that's what matters. Who cares how long it takes to get out the door?

Marlene said...

Sounds like quite the morning routine! You do a lot before I even wake up!

Ryan said...

Just wait until she starts walking. You will have to put your coffee in one of those beer helmets.

B. Kramer said...

If I'm running in the morning, I have to get up and go before my brain wakes up and realizes what's happening. Otherwise, I convince myself that sleep is a far, far better thing to be doing at 6:30 a.m.

Wes said...

You should wake up while you are running. That way you get out the door before anybody realizes what is happening :-)

James said...

It's always a chore dealing with kids in the morning. Wait until you're trying to get her ready for school and she throws a fit because she can't find the left shoe to her favorite pair. Good job on making it out the door early!

Krissy said...

same here...it is quite the routine in the morning! btw-we have the toy dog "Scout" too. Eli sometimes knocks it if I forget it is in crib at night and the stupid thing starts talking! for some reason it doesn't wake him...

Katie A. said...

I totally am the same way! I am not one who can just get up and run! On the other hand, I don't have an adorable love nugget to distract me either - I guess I should relish these days before I do!!
Anywhoo, good job on getting out early! You are champ for getting out at all in that wacky heat!

MNFirefly said...

I usually take my time too in the morning. I amazed myself by managing to get out of the door before 7 am today. I even think about doing everything with a baby on top of it.

Anonymous said...

Potty training is going to be right around the corner; so precious
Katherine

Rad Runner said...

What a cute lil pumpkin head! Those 20 minutes earlier make a difference, they really really do :)

lee@In My Tummy said...

I understand. I am not a get-up-and-run-er either. Hell, 7:40 is mighty impressive to me.

Anonymous said...

That "love nugget" is growing up fast! What a cutie!

You get out there when you can and that's all that counts. Great job!

Heather said...

I'm impressed with your 7:40 time, too - way to get the run in!

AnaVar said...

Hi! I just discovered the site, and reading older posts.. I enjoyed going through it and will visit you again soon! I started to run this spring and hope it will become a habit!

Anonymous said...

The good news when you run a race sans Norah you will be wicked fast!