TAT CN Header

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Troubled Sleep

My intention this morning was to get up early and get my run done before the heat of the day. But, when it came time to arise at my intended hour, I was so tired that I didn't hesitate to shut my alarm off and go back to sleep.

I've never been a morning person, and I've certainly never been a morning runner, but when the schedule has demanded it in the past, I always found the will to get myself out of bed and get the run done. But lately, I am so dang tired that I simply lack the necessary will-power. Why am I so tired? Well, aside from the fact that my body is working hard brewing this baby, I also have been having trouble sleeping.

This is a VERY common complaint for the 3rd trimester, so I know I'm not alone on this, but that doesn't help the fact that for the past couple weeks, and past two nights especially, I find I spend more of the night awake than asleep. And it's exhausting. So, what's keeping me up? Let me share:

Discomfort
The growing belly simply means all-around discomfort. The doctor recommended sleep position is on your left side with a pillow between your knees and pillows at your back, but I can't sleep in one position all night, especially wedged in like that with a pillow fortress. I need mobility (and oh, how I wish I could sleep on my tummy!). But shifting back and forth from left side to right side -- with the accompanying pillows and this belly -- is a task that wakes me each time. Plus, by early morning, I find my lower back and hips stiff and aching from laying on my side.

I have to pee a lot.
Since the start of my pregnancy, I have not slept through the night once. I always have to get up and pee at least once -- and presently, it's more like 2-3 times -- in the night. Getting up, peeing, returning to bed and re-settling all interrupt my sleep.

Too many thoughts.
Some nights, I can't sleep because I am just too distracted with a million thoughts and anxieties. Like Sunday night, for example, I couldn't sleep because I was calculating, in my head, how much we would need to put away each month into a college fund in order to pay for Norah's college (in 2027, Norah's estimated year of enrollment, a 4 year state school is projected to cost nearly $90K for 4 years of tuition -- that projection doesn't include room and board), and FYI: we'd need to aim to save $5K a year, or $416 a month, for 18 years in order to pay for 4 years of her college education. That thought led to panic about money in general. Logically, I know that I shouldn't focus on such thoughts, but I literally can't help it sometimes. Especially at night. When there's nothing else to distract.

Screwing with the sleep cycle.
Because I only work two days a week right now, I have my days open, which means that often times, in the late afternoon, I lie down and take a nap. Like a solid hour, maybe hour and a half, nap. Because of this extra sleep during the day, I find I'm not that tired when it's time for lights out at night. Then, I have trouble falling asleep, then I sleep in the next morning, and the cycle repeats.

So, yeah, added together, I don't feel well-rested as of late, but I know this is normal, and I just have to deal with it. But the whole "it's nature's way of preparing you for the sleep deprivation you'll experience after the child is born" can suck it. Nature? You're a cruel bitch. Why not let me sleep well now while I still can?

23 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, Mother Nature is getting you ready for the next year of sleep deprived nights. I thought the same thing about it being cruel but think about the easing into it. You can now roll out of bed to pee and go back to sleep. Once Norah arrives, you get the joy of staying up for "hours" before you can go back to sleep AND you have to function. The plus is you now know how to nap during the day. Definitely nap when Norah does, that's one thing I didn't do with Miller and that was the killer for me.

As for the college tuition-quit thinking about that. It will give you the runs and heart burn! Plus, that's Jerry's job.

Anonymous said...

Brewing up a baby or brewing up an 18 year excuse? That's the one nice thing about kids and pets - somewhere to place blame - heh, heh!

Oh yeah - Norah will want to go to the "U" - we just finished paying off Jaclyn's loans from that ironically not public institution.

Carolina John said...

The wildest part is that once norah comes you also won't be able to sleep through the night for several weeks. that's always fun.

i ran the tri sunday, you'd get a kick out of the pics on the race report.

C said...

I don't have kids and I've never been pregnant, but I sympathize with you on the bladder issues. I always wake up at least once during the night to pee. This does not bode well for me should I ever decide to grow a kid one day. Lordy.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear :( Stay positive!

lifestudent said...

I slept so horribly during pregnancy that I actually slept MORE when Brooke was born. It was a relief to only have to get up a few times a night versus being up all night tossing and turning.

And I have never been a morning person either ... but watch out. You might become one out of necessity. My little stinker cannot sleep past 6AM, which means neither can I :(

Marlene said...

Sleep is sooo precious to me, so I really feel for you.

LeahC said...

" But the whole "it's nature's way of preparing you for the sleep deprivation you'll experience after the child is born" can suck it. "

LOL. My favorite when I was talking to all the guys at work about being tired in my first trimester and they would laugh and say, "ha ha ha you'll be tired for the next 18 years". And I'm like...you know what. shut the hell up. at least when there is a baby you are tired for a reason and not going to bed at 7pm every night because keeping your eyes open is just too much work.

Sorry you are having trouble sleeping, I fear I will have the same problem in the 3rd trimester.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that your aren't sleeping. Don't worry though I'm sure Norah will be a genius and will get scholarships. Hope you get some sleep,.,

runner26 said...

oh no! I hope you are able to get a good night's sleep one of these nights. I'm experiencing some restless nights myself..

Agate Lake Girl said...

To continue with Erin's comments... soon you will be soo tired that you will fall asleep fast and easy (even though it won't always be for long periods of time). Since I had Rylee, I'm no longer an insomniac. :)

Unknown said...

I know it's easy for me to say this but please try not to worry too much. It sounds like you are way ahead of the "thinking" game especially about Norah's college tuition. It is the thought that count but let your hubby take care of this. At the same time, I am excited for you and your hubby when the day comes.

teacherwoman said...

I lurve my sleep so much, I couldn't imagine having the difficulties you have! Who knows, if you suffer now, maybe little Norah will be sleeping through the night in a matter of a couple months?!

MCM Mama said...

Hang in there! I definitely slept better after the kids were on the outside and my kids are horrible sleepers. Having the ability to nap is key once she comes. I can't nap and it darn near killed me.

Try not to stress too much about long term things like college tuition. Obviously, do what you can, but stressing about it for the next 18 years isn't good for anyone.

Christie said...

Give nature the finger and enjoy a cup of chamomile tea. Wait a minute, can you have that? I have no idea. Anyway, I hope you get some rest soon.

MNFirefly said...

Invest in a body pillow. It's sooo worth it! It will become your best friend.

Sara said...

ugh, i feel for you. i'm a mild insomniac at times (i get up to pee most nights and i'm not even pregnant) and i can't imagine. anything you can do to lower your overall stress level? seems like you've got things laid out well for Norah's arrival. have you and Jerry talked about finances once she arrives?

sleep is one of those things we never really think about until we don't get it :( i hope you can get some quality sleep before the little one comes.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when I can't fall asleep. Hope you get some nice shut eye soon. Hang in there.

Wes said...

It IS hard to sleep through the night when baby is dancing on your bladder :-) Things will work out just fine. Try not to worry!

Christina said...

Well, you know you'll be putting that money into an interest-bearing account, right? So it won't be so much per month? So sleep easier! :)

Teacher Pursuits said...

Oh sister friend - how I feel your pain. I've now gotten to the point that I am actually adjusted to getting so little sleep though. But - the peeing thing... holy moly - I can't wait for that to be over. :)

Unknown said...

I totally understand your difficulties in the sleep department! I find myself with the same problems every morning and night! I find the more pillows I add, the better it is...just takes more work to change sides...good luck!

Marcy said...

Awwwwhhh you poor thing! I forgot about the lack of sleep during pregnancy. Man this post just gave me a flashback of when I was pregnant with Keira. I would totally stay up and watch past Conan because I couldn't sleep. Totally stinks. But if it makes you feel better at least it's good prep for when the baby comes *weak smile*