TAT CN Header

Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Running Date

This morning, Wendy and I met in Deerfield Beach, by the pier (pictured below), at sunrise. Deerfield is about half way between us. (Although, I think it may be a little closer to me than to her, but because she gets to drive a Porsche, I think it's fair to make her do more of the driving, right?)During the week, we had settled on doing 10 miles together -- for me that was a significant build in miles considering I hadn't done a "long" run since before Chicago and I would have to guess that it's been approximately 8 weeks since I've done anything longer than 6-8 miles -- for Wendy, this is a shorter distance, but since she's "tapering" (I put that in quotes because her taper includes mileage that for many of us would be "peak" miles in training) before Marathon of the Palm Beaches, she was okay with the shorter run.

Unfortunately, I don't have accurate splits to record here because I stopped my Garmin at a light and then, two miles later, realized I hadn't resumed its timer. But, the Garmin tells me that for the miles I do have recorded that the average pace was 10:45 -- this is due in large part because I forced us to take a few walk breaks (at first my tummy was kinda upset after a GU and then I was just plain pooped). I know that this is uber-slow for Wendy, so I do appreciate her patience with me!

But despite the relatively slow pace, the run went by quickly. I guess that's how it is when you have someone to talk to. I mean, I've run with people before -- frequently, actually -- but when you don't know those other runners that well, conversation can sometimes be...well...lagging. But, because I feel like I already know Wendy (despite us never having met in person before this morning), the conversation was much easier. And the time flew by. So, before I knew it, we were back at our cars, at the pier, and we were done.

Before we parted ways, I felt I was obliged to snap some pics -- since the elusive Wendy rarely posts pics of herself, and when she does, we all complain that they're often blurry. So, for your blogging pleasure, below is the non-blurry Wendy (standing by the trunk of her Porsche, BTW, can you tell that I am jealous?).

And here is a pic of the both of us -- post run so we're both sweaty and I have some kind of strange cow-lick going on. Maybe next time, I should remember to whip the camera out before the run.
All in all, it was a good run: cooler temps, good scenery, good company, and it forced me to return to some more significant mileage. Now, I'm home and showered, and after I get me some breakfast, I know that I should go do some Christmas shopping (haven't even begun yet), but a huge part of me also wants to make the couch my home for the day. We'll see which choice wins out.

15 comments:

Debbi said...

What a couple of little cuties you are! And the sun! And shorts! We have sun, but at temperatures hovering around freezing (that's 32°, something y'all probably never see) it's more like parka-and-wool hat weather here.

Thanks for the report!

Marcy said...

I'm sooooooo jealous!! Next time you both run together I'm flying down to join!!
So did you guys talk about numbers and waffles or what? ;-)

You ladies look awesome, especially after a run!!

ws said...

I wrote a short post. Yes, I too got a ticket, but I placed it somewhere when I got home and now I can't remember where...hope I find it before they issue a warrant for my arrest and seize the car.

L*I*S*A said...

Great job on a long run. You two look great! I'm so jealous of your moderate fall/winter temps down there!

teacherwoman said...

How fun is that! awesome!

Erin said...

Cool that you had a new running partner this week. Looks like it was a nice morning for a run.

Nancy said...

OH how fun!! Glad you were able to get together. Thanks for the pics, too!! You guys look great!

Tri+Umph said...

New running partners rock, nice run!

David said...

Sounds like a great run and a great day for you guys. Though I normally run and cycle alone, it's such a neat dynamic when there are others to talk to and take your mind off of the task at hand. I should do it more often.

J~Mom said...

You guys look awesome for just having run!! Love the pics and the report!! It's so nice to have someone to run with and make the time go by faster. Thanks for sharing!

Neese said...

the pace sounds great to me! especially for longer runs. nice job.

Mendy said...

That's fantastic you gals got to run together and sounds like it was a pleasure to know each other and that helped time pass by. Great job on doing 10, Jess when you haven't in a while - and at that great pace too!!

Laura N said...

How fab! I am so jealous. =) What a great run and a fun picture. You two are too cute!

Viv said...

Great pics! The scenery made me miss FL a bit. I go back to visit every spring. My folks have a place in Hallandale Beach. What a nice run. Too cute chicas!

Laurel said...

That is so awesome that you guys got to do a run together!

You guys look great! And also very happy after a 10 mile run.