TAT CN Header

Friday, February 09, 2007

In T-Minus 23 Minutes,

I have an important interview.

I'm interviewing for a full-time permanent faculty position at the community college where I teach, and the interview represents a milestone for me. See, for the past 3 years, I've been teaching as an adjunct professor, which basically means that even though I carry a full load of classes, I don't get paid very well, I have to share an office, and I don't receive benefits. It kinda sucks.

But things have been looking up for my career in the last year: Last spring I won an important teaching award (Adjunct Professor of the Year) and last fall, I was granted a full-time "temporary" position within the department, and this is the first year I've applied for a full-time permanent position and have actually received an invitation to an interview -- so I am making progress, albeit slow progress (however, academia is a slow moving world and I'm very young for my profession).

So, the interview is by phone (which kinda blows b/c I think I'm better in person, but hey, I can still be charming by phone) and I'm expecting the call in less than half an hour. Perviously, I wasn't a bit nervous -- true, the interview has been on my mind this week, but I've been very confident thinking about it. Now, though I am starting to feel the anxiety (could also be the 3 cups of coffee I've had). So, my heart is yammering and I have already double checked the phone twice to make sure it works (not that it's ever NOT worked before, but you know). I've also got Scooter out on the back porch so that he is -- hopefully -- distracted by looking at the ducks and doesn't decide to play with a squeeker toy while I'm on the phone. I don't think I can be more prepared.

Cross your fingers for me and wish me the best of luck!

4 comments:

Neese said...

you know I'm rootin for you! good luck and congratulations!! :o)

teacherwoman said...

I am crossing my fingers toes for you girl! You will do just fine! Go get 'em!

Froyd said...

congratulations!

"academia is a slow moving world"


God, ain't that the truth.

miss petite america said...

good luck chica!!!!