TAT CN Header

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wordy Wednesday

As most of you know by now, I stay at home with the kids part-time and work full-time.  So, I'm at home with the ankle-biters until midday, and by noon, I'm in my office at the college readying for my afternoon and evening classes. 

Some days, by the time I get to work, I feel pretty spent, as if I have already worked a full day.  Today was such a day.  My morning with the kidlets shook down like so:

  • Both were up before 6 am.  Norah crawled into our bed at 5:45, and even though I tried telling her it was "still night time," she was up UP.  Either she woke Caleb up or he was just up on his own, but he too was up UP.
  • By 6:15, I was fetching Norah's milk and getting her set up with Sesame Street when Scooter made his morning debut by puking in the dining room.  3 times.
  • At 6:40, I sat down on the living room floor with Caleb and a cup of coffee and rolled him onto his tummy for some tummy time, and before my first sip of coffee, he rolled over!  First time!  I was so excited, so I flipped back onto his tummy again and he rolled over again!
  • I go and wake Jerry up (we are kinda-sorta back to trading off mornings with the kids) and have him hurry out to the living room to see this GRAND FEAT.
  • Caleb does not perform.
  • Then, Jerry gets in the shower, and...two more rolls!  Milestone baby accomplishment!  But dad hasn't been able to witness it.
  • At 8, I gave Caleb a bottle of formula* and 20 minutes later, the little bugger broke out in hives.  This week is his first test-run with formula, and at DC on Monday and on Tuesday, he seemingly had allergic reactions, but I wanted to see for myself to confirm that it's the formula causing the reaction.  Yuppers.  It's the formula.
  • Most likely, he has an allergy, or sensitivity, to dairy (and probably has all along; it explains a lot, actually).  So, I nursed him before sending him off to DC with some Soy formula.  (At last report, they had given him the soy bottle -- he wasn't a fan -- and no reaction thus far.)
  • At 9, Caleb went down for his morning nap, and Norah and I showered and had our breakfast.  She ate great!  She ate 2 eggs, a shitload of cantaloupe, and...this is where it gets interesting...a cup full of feta cheese.  It's what she requested.  She loves feta.  All by itself. 
  • It was good she ate so well because it was one of the highlights of our morning; otherwise, she was very contrary (maybe getting up at 5:45 does that to a girl -- or to a mom!) and I felt a LOT of frustration in dealing with her.
  • Then, in the car, on our way to DC, she says to me: "I like it you."  And I completely forgot the specifics of what she'd done throughout the morning that had frustrated me so much.
This afternoon, then, I'm talking with a book rep who asks me: "So, how are you handling it all?"  Umm, does it say anything that one minute I am thinking about shipping them off to the Artic and the next minute I just want to stay home and snuggle them all day long?

*I'm still nursing him as well, but we're in the process of transitioning to formula.  There's a lot that could be said on this subject, but I think I'll skip it today.  I've been wordy enough as it is!

12 comments:

Wes said...

I tell my kids... You haven't lived till you have kids of your own, even if they are solely responsible for all this gray hair :-)

Erin said...

I totally hear you on one minute wanting to give them away to the first taker and other moments wanting to keep them forever because they are the sweetest things on earth.

Way to go Caleb on the rollover! That's fantastic news *now you just have to look for where he rolled to after you set him down.

Bummer on the formula. Hopefully it's not a full blown dairy allergy and it's something he outgrows.

Unknown said...

So going to formula is awesome! Yayaya breast feeding will save the world, but formula makes everything soooo much easier. It certainly did for me. We had to do soy, both kids were allergic to dairy based. And contrary kids, well apparently they go through the whole defiant stage at the 6 month period into whatever year. So like 1.5 yrs, 2.5 yrs ect. They stick to their guns and then mellow out over the next 6-8 months. Don't worry it won't last long. Just don't force anything not life threating (ie. yes you will wear a seatbelt, but we can negotiate on the shoes WITH socks) They will fight harder than you can and you'll both feel like shit afterwards. Pick your battles and get used to leaving 10 minutes earlier! Sounds like you all are doing freaking great!

Marlene said...

That is QUITE the morning routine. You certainly have your hands full.

YAY to Caleb's rollover, but boo on the intolerance!

Julie D said...

I hate when I call someone over and the subject "does not perform" LOL~!

I find it funny you still call them "ankle biters." I've been reading your blog for ages, pre-kids, and remember you calling them that, too!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Sounds like a crazy morning!

I'm am (finally) weaning. yeah LBM is over 3 years old and wasn't wanting to give it up. Since our CA trip, I've only cracked a couple times. LBM is doing fine. It's just hard to let them get so big so fast. Good luck with finding a formula that works.

Lee said...

She ate a cup of feta? A girl after my own heart.

MCM Mama said...

Personally, I prefer selling them to the gypsies. ;o) Your morning sounds a lot like my afternoons, only I get the older kid version.

Carolina John said...

My kids were also both up before 6 this morning!?! WTF? not cool.

Krissy said...

wow those mornings sometimes are SO TRYING! I know exactly how you feel. Glad Norah left you with a smile on your face and Caleb rocked his milestone!!

Unknown said...

I am soooo in the same boat. You love your kids to death but there are definitely *those* moments where I would gladly trade each of them for a chocolate bar. But, as soon as they say I love you, or you see their little sleeping faces, all the bad stuff is erased, only to start all over again in the morning. Sigh...

Agate Lake Girl said...

That's how I feel about Rylee too - love her one minute, want to strangle her the next. I'm hoping that's the parental norm!