TAT CN Header

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Skip Day

For the past two weeks, I've been fighting the urge to call in sick or use a personal day, and today I succumbed to the urge, and used a personal day.  I cancelled my two classes, dropped the kids at daycare, and had the afternoon to myself.  I really wanted/needed to do a few errands and chores that I keep meaning to get to, but never seem to have the time for, so it was nice to get those accomplished.

But, with the afternoon off, and still such lovely weather, I also couldn't help but take advantage of my skip day to get outside and get a run in -- all. by. myself. in the fresh outdoors!  It was glorious.  But, hotter than I originally thought.  It was fine in the shade, but my 3 mile loop's final mile was under direct sun, and my energy withered, but I pressed through and even though I was hot when I was finished, I was happy to have the afternoon off to run.

Now, I only have about 30 minutes before Jerry and the kids get home, so I must make use of my time wisely.  Which means I think I'll lay on the couch and read my book.  Ahhh, taking the personal day was totally worth it!

20 comments:

James said...

Good for you! Personal days are important. Especially when you have kids.

TNTcoach Ken said...

I've been having 300 of those urges the past year.....

Marlene said...

Sounds like a fantastic day to me!

JojaJogger said...

Hooray for skip days!

Julie D said...

Those are the BEST days!

I agree with Ken above, though!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic day and well deserved...now I don't have a job, but does motherhood come with "personal days"???

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your run. I know it's tougher when not propped up by a baby stroller!

Heather said...

So nice! It is my dream to be home alone. Last time it happened I was so sick I couldn't enjoy it.

Erin said...

Good for you! I used to save my days for emergencies. I finally learned they are worth taking for selfish reasons.

MCM Mama said...

Good for you! I'm a huge believer in taking the occasional day just for mental health. Glad you enjoyed it.

N.D. said...

I agree- such a good thing to do. Glad you had a good day and got in a nice weather run!

Beth (i run like a girl) said...

Ahh... a random day off in the middle of the week is one of life's wonderful little pleasures. It sounds like yours was delightful!
:)

Alice said...

Good for you! I miss being able to do that when my kids were in daycare. Now I'm still on maternity leave and they won't be back until September 2012 so I'll have to wait a while for a personal day.

Anonymous said...

I strongly support your personal day! Sounds like a GREAT idea!

Krissy said...

Sounds absolutely glorious!! Good for you!

Carolina John said...

Mental health is totally worth it, right? ah glorious skip days.

fancy nancy said...

Oh my word! It took everything in me today not to take a skip day!!! I am testing kids this week though so that probably wouldn't fly too well! I promised myself a day soon!! Glad you enjoyed your day!!

Robin said...

That sounds great! I sometimes think about letting Eva go to daycare on my days off but I always end up keeping her home with me because I am afraid I'll miss that time together. I think, for my birthday though, I am going to let her go for part of the day so I can have some time to myself!!

runner26 said...

This is always a good idea!!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I have taken vacation days for this when I'm about to have a break down - I think every mom should get one free personal day a month just to play catch up.