TAT CN Header

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

I Don't Like Sharing

This afternoon, I headed over to the campus gym to hit the treadmill, as has become my habit on Mondays and Wednesdays the past few weeks, and today, I encountered a problem I just knew was inevitable:

No treadmill availability.

The gym is small -- c'mon this is a public community college, so it's not like this place is an L.A. Fitness or anything -- and there are only 8 treadmills.  And, currently, 4 are out of order.  Thems not good odds, yo.

So, when I got there today, all 4 treadmills were occupado.  2 people were actually running on their treadmills, but the other 2 were walking on theirs like they were just out for a leisurely stroll on the beach.  Part of me wanted to be all, "Use it or lose it!"  But that's frowned upon gym behavior, and just plain bad sharing (I'm always telling Norah that she has to learn to "take turns" so maybe I should learn that too), and I had to concede to jumping on an available elliptical (of which there are twice as many).  I don't love the elliptical, but after my first "mile" on there, a treadmill opened up and I was on it like white on rice.  With my time constraint, I couldn't start my run over, so I only ran 2 "legit" miles on the treadmill.

I felt a bit like I was cheated out of my full run, but such is life when you're "sharing" equipment with others.

12 comments:

Julie D said...

I don't like sharing, either! I don't even like when someone comes up and starts running on the treadmill next to me!

Marlene said...

I used to hate when the treadmills were all in use! At least you were able to hop on the treadmill in the meantime.

MCM Mama said...

At least you got some time on the treadmill...

Kellie said...

I used to go to a commercial gym that hadn't been updated in a long time, even while there was a huge population boom in the area. As a result, it was always crowded and at peak times, there was always a wait on ALL equipment. I found it really effective to just form a line for the equipment you want. Just stand and wait... and stare at the lazy ones. They might just be warming up or cooling down or something. Anyway, when you are clearly waiting your turn, they are more likely to realize they are done with theirs.

Myra F. said...

Glad you got some time in on the treadmill, I'll tell ya though the elliptical has been a godsend since hitting my 2nd trimester! I don't know how you kept running the whole pregnancy! My joints are terrible right now, and although I know the elliptical isn't the same, it's keeping hope alive that i wont be sucking on my half marathon next year ;)

Aka Alice said...

Someone at the college really needs to fix those 4 broken 'mills.

That's cool that you can use the gym. We are really not supposed to unless we take a class at my college. (grrrr)

Beth (i run like a girl) said...

I'm w/ Alice... there's no good excuse for leaving half of the treadmills broken. Boo!

Meaghan said...

Ugh, I hate sharing treadmills, I get it. The silver lining is that you were able to get some time on the 'mill, but frustrating nevertheless!!

runner26 said...

annoying. it's like the "loafer lane" in the pool. what is the point?

maybe next time you could politely ask one of the walkers when he/she will be done? that way they will know you are waiting.

lifestudent said...

Yeah, I hate that scenario. ESPECIALLY on a time constraint. You got hosed.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I wonder why that is, that running is only running on the mill and no other piece of equipment? Does everyone feel that way?

Wes said...

easy days are good days!