TAT CN Header

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Going "Long"

Since starting back to running in July, I have only stuck to 3 milers.  But, this weekend, I wanted to start slowly venturing out of that 3 miler comfort zone, so I broke the mold this morning and did...4 miles!  Adventuresome, aren't I?

My Garmin was still frozen (yes, I tried both soft and hard resets -- the 310 is not my first Garmin), but luckily, I'm the kind of girl who has a back-up Garmin: the 305!  Spoiled much?  Why yes, I am.

See, last year, for Christmas, my parents bought me the 305, not knowing that my 310 was only about 6 months old.  Instead of returning the 305, I figured I'd just hold onto it.  You know, in case of a Garmin-emergency.  I'm glad I did because it was nice to have that back-up waiting in the wings after the 310 froze up on me.

The 305 is bulkier than the 310, but since I'd worn the 205 for years, it didn't take long to adjust to the difference in size.  In fact, I think the 305's display is easier to read since it's a bit larger, so I really didn't mind the bulk.  Plus, I like the 305's reading of "current" pace instead of the 310's "average" pace. 

Anyhoo, the run itself was good, and I averaged 10:30/miles (see, I'm slower out on the road than I am on the treadmill) and finished the 4 miles in 42 minutes.  It felt good to go just a smidgen past my comfort zone, and by simply doing so, I was encouraged about gradually increasing my mileage for that 10K in a month.

6 comments:

Lee said...

Good job Jess! I'm slower on the road than on the treadmill too.

Marlene said...

One good step closer to a 10K, and yay for a back up Garmin!

Lisa said...

Baby steps (pun intended) get you to bigger steps, which get you to where you want to be again :)

Nice job!

Julie D said...

Awesome! Four miles is close enough to 10k! You'll be ready!

Charbelle said...

I run treadmill and outside, I have used the treadmill to force a faster speed at a consistent rate. I will say this, when it comes to the day of the race, those miles logged on the treadmill absolutely helped me kick it at the race and last year I PR'd a 5K with help from the "speed work" done on the treadmill. This year I'm just not consistent enough.
Yay for a back up watch!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I'm getting itchy to "go long" myself. Great job, I like the backup Garmin idea...