TAT CN Header

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Bad Fruit

I had a plum this morning that was not so tasty. It wasn't that sweet and it had a kind of grainy, almost mealy quality to it. I barely choked it down.

I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, because that's what you're supposed to do if you want to be a healthy little eater, so I've bought some fruit which I try to fit in for my breakfast (because skipping breakfast is supposed to be a bad thing as well). The hard thing for me about consuming fresh veggies and fresh fruit is their freshness. I like them to be very ripe -- at their peak juiciness, but I also want them to last awhile because I don't want to be running to the store every other day. So I usually run into one of two problems.

One, the fruit goes mushy and soft way too fast and before I know it, it's modly and unedible. Sometimes this really does happen fast, and sometimes it's a matter of perception. I stick that fruit in the crisper drawer of the refridgerator and completely forget about it. Then I'm wondering where that awful smell is coming from and I am searching for the home of all those flies. I once forgot a bag of oranges in a crisper in this way and they all turned a snowy white. It looked like a bag full of snowballs.

Two, my other problem, is that I eat all the fruit right away -- within a day of buying it because I'm afraid I'll forget about it. Then I have no more fruit and I've got to run to the toilet every half an hour (that fruit goes through me faster than the green tea).

So I'm trying to pace myself this week with what I bought and so far I'm doing alright, but I was really disappointed with that plum, which makes me look askew at the one remaining plum in the kitchen. Will it be just as bad? Tasteless and strangely textured? I hope not. I always loved plums when I was a kid; the really juicy ones that would run all over your hands and arms as you ate, and your mom made you eat them outside because they were so messy. Those were great. That's kind of what I was looking for in these, but maybe they don't have those anymore.

No comments: