TAT CN Header

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Search for Motivation

After a week off of running, I decided I had to quit waiting for my mojo to come and find me: I had to go out and find it. So, I "suited up" in my running clothes this morning and got ready to head out. Then, I packed Norah into her stroller with her running essentials -- a bear, a blanket, and a pacifier -- and we went outside.
It was a brisk morning for South Florida (temps around 50 degrees), but it was perfect running weather. About a half mile into our route, we passed a couple who were pushing two young boys in a double jogger, and as we manuevered around each other (no small feat trying to go two abreast with jogging stroller traffic), I smiled and said "good morning" and the woman heartily replied with: "You're doing a great job! Keep up the hard work!"

I don't know why strangers' encouragement is so meaningful to me, but this woman's few words felt so good that I nearly cried! She had no clue that I really needed to hear that; she was just being friendly, but it really was touching to me, and suddenly: Mojo found!

Here we are near the end of our run -- I had to pause to pick up an ejected bear, so I snapped a quick pick of us near the end of our route.
When we finished, I felt great, and I was so glad I had determined to just get out there and run even though I haven't been feeling like it the past few days.

20 comments:

RBJ said...

Great job!!! I can't wait to get a jogging stroller (well, when the weather gets warmer here in Ohio). I am so impressed that you're also doing it pregnant! :)

Heather said...

Great job getting out for a run. Sometimes you just have to "fake it til you make it." :)

Jess said...

Way to get out there and get it done!

Also, I can't believe how big Norah is getting! She's definitely not a baby anymore!

Anonymous said...

"You're doing a great job! Keep up the hard work!"

Unknown said...

Great run - I'm just jealous of your palm trees and warm weather!

Krissy said...

I feel the same way when strangers comment! It totally gets me going and feeling invigorated it is the best. Good for you for getting out there again :)

Marlene said...

50 degrees! Green grass! I need to move to FL for the winter.

Glad you found that mojo in a most unexpected place!

Julie D said...

That's what we've been saying all along! You're doing great!! I can imagine the strollers bumping into each other on the sidewalk... it's like shopping at the grocery store!

teacherwoman said...

Kind words from another is always great! Sure puts a smile on MY face! Sounds like you were meant to get out there today!

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

Haha suited up!!

You look amazing & adorable!!

Gotta love the kindness of strangers! I don't know why, but it does mean a lot to hear their encouraging words.

B. Kramer said...

A brisk morning run always brings back the mojo. It is brisk there, right? Cheers!

TNTcoach Ken said...

"You're doing a great job! Keep up the hard work!" Did it work????????? Are u crying???

d.a.r. said...

Ahhh that almost made me cry!! I love random acts of kindness like that!

lee said...

Great job! I definitely feel like getting out the door is the hardest part. Sometimes you just have to force yourself.

Agate Lake Girl said...

Comments from strangers are almost more meaningful sometimes.

Love the pics too!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, mojo! Welcome back!

Aron said...

yayyy welcome back! I bet you guys are the cutest thing running down the street. Little baby belly pushing the jogging stroller <3 love it!

Marci said...

I am so jealous of your weather!! Glad you got your mojo back!

SavvyFitChica said...

thanks for the note, I did go to the doctor on Tuesday when I called in sick & no infection- just a cold where I had the flu before. Bummer.

Good job getting out there! Our weather is pretty sunny right now too- darn nice!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

You look so great!

Amazing how words from a stranger can mean so much.