TAT CN Header

Monday, January 31, 2011

Recent Runs and Potential Races

Running
Yesterday afternoon, we went for a "family run" and did 3 miles. Considering the cool mornings and evenings we've had for several weeks now, we discovered that the middle of the afternoon is surprisingly hot. So, our 3 miler had a few walk breaks, but I don't mind those these days, so it was a good run.

Then, this morning, I took advantage of those cool morning temps and went for a 2 miler with Norah, which was glorious. I feel as though I really have to soak up morning runs such as these because 6 months from now, at 8 am, it's gonna be sweltering and I'm gonna be sweating behind a stroller with TWO kids in it!

Racing?
Looking ahead in terms of running, I'd really like to run at least one more preggo race (I ran the local Turkey Trot back on Thanksgiving when I was 13 weeks pregnant), and I'd like to do so soon. So, if I wanted to do a 5K this weekend, I have two good options: One race I've done several times before and I know the course, but the other one is a race I've never done before so it'd be fresh and new. There's advantages to each, but only one distinctive disadvantage to both: I'd actually have to get up and race!

Lazy excuse, I know, but hear me out.

See, Jerry and I trade off days when we get up with Norah, which means that we each always get one weekend morning to sleep in, and I mean really sleep in (like 8 or 8:30! the parents of small kids out there will appreciate how late that is). And, well, this Saturday would be MY day to sleep in! And if there's anything a pregnant lady loves more than a convenient bathroom and frequent meals, it's sleep.

So, do I compromise my ONE day of the week that I get to laze about in bed in order to rise and race? I'm sure that I'd feel all satisfied and happy (blah, blah, blah) after having completed the race, but at the same time -- sleep!

21 comments:

d.a.r. said...

So, don't throw things at me because I am the ignorant girl without little ones...but maybe could you trade sleeping for some alone time in the afternoon to nap??

This would never ever work for me, I am just not a napper. I just can't do it. But maybe it would be a good compromise?

Anonymous said...

Sleep in - dream about racing!

Georgia Snail said...

can you wake & race and grab a mid day nap?

JojaJogger said...

How about trading days with Jerry?

Unknown said...

Yeah, could you trade days? Isn't it sad that 8am is a gloriously late morning. Babylegs.com for the leg warmers:)

Unknown said...

i think it's sleeping in when i don't get up until 7:15. sigh.

i'm sure if it were me, i would go with sleep based on my recollection of being pregnant. but i'm guessing you'll be posting on sunday about the race...

Tyly said...

Thank you for your input on my blog! You are very right in everything you said, which is why I wanted to have mommies weigh in. I appreciate your thoughts!!

And my only possible ideas are ones that have been said... maybe a mid day nap or a day swap?

Thanks again for the comment! :)

StephanieC said...

plenty of time to sleep, run run run as later you may not want/be able to.

MCM Mama said...

I'd sleep, but I'm lazy like that. ;o) Good luck with your decision.

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I would call the "disadvantage" to the race ... carrying another human inside of you!!! I have no idea how you gals do it! Great job!

teacherwoman said...

Ahhh, I can only imagine how wonderful sleeping in until 8 or 830 would be for a mommy of a little one. Good luck with the decision!

Lee said...

Can you switch days with Jerry for the weekend?

Crissy Rae said...

I have a hard time sleeping in on the weekends. I guess I'm so excited I don't have to work that I'm wide awake!

I vote to do the race and maybe take a nap later or switch with Jerry. Those 5k races don't take too long and even preggo I bet you're still pretty fast.

Heather said...

I would take the sleep. You're going to need all that banked sleep once the new baby gets here! :)

Charbelle said...

This is where my lazy side will show. I would choose sleep because I find it so very necessary. Last week I didn't run at all, I've figured out that something was in fact wrong. I was in bed at 6:30 last Monday. Tonight I felt great. So my sentiment is if you can switch or nap then fabulous but there will always be another race and sleep is important!!

Erin said...

Do the race and have Jer-Bear take one for the team. Equality is nice and all but he owes you.

Andy said...

New races are always fun! Also keeps it exciting because it is new! I was thinking of naps as well, just like some of your other commenters :) Naps are only uncool between the ages of 6 and about 20.

Marlene said...

I was going to suggest day-trading, but then I realized that doesn't really work - then jerry would be up early with Norah one day so you can race and one day so you can sleep in. ;)

TNTcoach Ken said...

I had to Google 'sweltering'!

X-Country2 said...

RUUUUUUN! I'd gladly give up sleep for a sunny, warm, fun little race right now. The logistics of running with 2 kids is hard, yo. Harder than sleep, IMO. Get all the running in while you can.

N.D. said...

I totally understand that! Game time decision sounds like a good plan.