TAT CN Header

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Difference a Little Air Makes

First of all, in response to questions about my previous post: Yes, Norah went running with me. She's going through a typical toddler phase where she says "no" to just about everything we ask her, so we take her "no" with a grain of salt. Also, I wasn't truly giving her an option. She's 17 months old; she doesn't really get that many choices yet.

But speaking of running with Norah, I've been running with the BOB for nearly a year now, yet I've never once put air in the tires. Granted, for the past few months, every time I run, I look at the tires, and think, "Hmmmm, those tires look like they need a little air." However, then I'd return from a run and forget completely about it.

Then, over the weekend, Jerry went for a run with me and he pushed Norah in the stroller, and we weren't even a block down the road when he exclaimed, "These tires are almost entirely deflated!"

Me: "Yeah, they need a little air."

Jerry: "A little air? No, they need a LOT of air! These deflated tires make it a lot tougher to push the stroller."

Me: "Really? That makes a difference? I just thought Norah was getting really heavy."

Then, he gave me a classic "Jerry look" which is a look I get him from him more often than I'd like. It's a look of condescension that says, "I love you and I think you're cute, but sometimes I just can't believe how stupid you are."

So, he went out and bought a tire pump and inflated the tires, and OH. MY. GOD! what a difference! He was right! It was like night and day pushing the stroller with newly inflated tires -- so much easier! So, I guess, for months now I've been making this task of pushing Norah in the running stroller a whole lot harder than it needs to be simply because I ignored something as basic as tire inflation.

Lesson learned: Tires need air every once in awhile. And Jerry should be the one to remember that.

26 comments:

lee said...

Haha! Now at least your runs will feel a lot easier, right?

Anonymous said...

Your husband sounds so Smart

Anonymous said...

What a great, smart, loving husband.

Anonymous said...

Your should really tell your husband how much you appreciate all his help.

Anonymous said...

If my hubby helped me like that I would rub his back and shoulders.

Marlene said...

So not only have you been pushing a toddler in a running stroller (while preggo), but you have been doing it on flat tires! You're a super-hero!!!

Anonymous said...

These people really are right, I am great. And the last person had a good idea, I could use a back rub tonight.

Love, The Husband.

Lily on the Road said...

LMAO @ Jerry!!

Just think of the guns & abs (well sort of the abs) you were developing!!

SavvyFitChica said...

Oh my gosh, you crack me up. This JUST happened 2 weeks ago but with our car. Michael said, "This tire is really low." I said, "Yeah, I thought it looked a little low." He said, "No, this is REALLY low."

My gas mileage has dramatically improved since he inflated my tires! LOL!

Anonymous said...

So you are telling me that Jerry did not monitor the air pressure of the BOB tires for a year? What is wrong with that guy?

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

You were really going for the resistance training while running, right?

Julie D said...

Well, you got some good extra training in there with the extra drag, I guess!

B. Kramer said...

See? Men aren't idiots all the time. Get that man a beer! He earned it. Cheers!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Lucy, you got some plainin' to do....... HA

BrianFlash said...

Just think of how good your workouts have been!

Wes said...

LOL... Just say you were adding more resistance!

Heather said...

I have learned that lesson with my bike - much easier to ride with fully inflated tires!

My brother is moving to Aurora, CO . . . I have never been to Colorado, so I am really excited to visit.

Scarlett said...

Haha that's too funny! I never notice stuff like that, which is a big reason why I prefer running to biking.

Emily said...

Same thing just happened with me and our BOB! Good thing we have husbands, huh?

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the deflated tire problem. I experienced that at stroller fit the first day I used the second seat on my babyjogger. I though the two of them seemed a bit heavy, but then I added air to the tires and what do you know, suddenly it was a whole lot easier to push the two of them around!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Ha, "the Jerry look" - most of us guys are probably all guilty of that one. When we actually DO know something ya'll don't, we have to make a point of it. ha

Crissy Rae said...

This one made me laugh, Jess! All I could think of was bicycle tires and how they get flat over time and needing to air them and I was picturing you trying to ride a bike with flat tires and pulling Norah in one of those carts.

Nice job Jerry for coming to the rescue :)

fancy nancy said...

LOL! This happened to me too. The tires would squeak really badly whenever I turned....they all needed to be inflated!

Anonymous said...

I've never thought of that during the whole time we had our BOB. Oops.

MCM Mama said...

LMAO! Thankfully, around here, Beer Geek is in charge of tire inflation and he takes that job seriously, so ours get some air at least every other week. ;o)

N.D. said...

haha! the last line is the best