TAT CN Header

Sunday, January 09, 2011

20 Weeks

I am now 20 weeks preggo with Caleb, and this is what I look like:Never mind that small spot of food on the front of my shirt; we had stir fry for lunch and I spilled some szechwan (sp?) on my belly -- a target that is increasingly hard to miss.

So, I'm halfway through my pregnancy and here's the lowdown:
  • I no longer feel nauseous on a daily basis. I have had a handful of pukecidents in the past weeks, but for the most part, the nausea began to subside around 16 weeks.
  • Now it's the start of the heartburn. Although, that is nothing compared to the daily barfing of the 1st trimester, so I'll take it.
  • I don't really have any specific cravings, but I do have THE HUNGER now that I'm not puking all the time. So, when I need to eat, I need to eat NOW. And I need to eat about every 2 hours, or else I get real cranky.
  • My sense of smell is now acute, and I love the scent of my face wash and Norah's bath wash.
  • I'm already beginning to have trouble sleeping. I have to sleep on my side, of course, and I have a pillow between my knees, but I can't sleep on one side all night because my hips ache, so when I roll over, I wake up to get re-situated. Then, I'm awake, so I have to pee. This happens about 4 times a night. It seems early to already feel restless and uncomfortable at night; I still have 5 months left!
  • On the whole, this is the best part of pregnancy, though. I am no longer sick, and my appetite has returned. I actually look pregnant, but I don't feel ginormous and whale-like yet. And, I can stomach coffee again. Oh, sweet caffeine how I missed thee!
  • Still all the caffeine I'm allowed to consume in a day couldn't make me less sleepy, and I still need at least 9 hours of sleep at night, and on the weekend (and most days over my recent break) I nap when Norah naps in the afternoon. What can I say? Baby-brewing makes me tired.

On a slightly-related note, I began sorting through all of Norah's outgrown clothes, and I separated them into 3 groups: those to keep, those to donate to charity, and those to give to people I know who are having baby girls. And I came to this conclusion: the amount of Norah's clothes borders on obscene. I kept a storage bin full of her stuff (things that we have sentimental attachment to or items we really like that we'd like to have just in case we decide to have more children and we have another girl); I am donating 3 huge garbage bags full of clothes, and I am giving away two Target-sized bags to one friend-of-a-friend, and am mailing 2 boxes worth of stuff to another. Phew!

It was a chore to go through all the clothes, but it also had a lot of other emotions tied to it: I loved seeing some outfits again, and ohhhing and ahhhing over their cuteness and fondly thinking back on her babyhood, but then, I also felt sad. Because, good lord, how could she have ever been SO small? Where did my baby go?

For comparison, here are two pics: One, the first, I took on Friday, when we went to the beach (she had mixed feelings about walking barefoot in the sand so her expression isn't one of being thrilled), and the other was taken exactly 1 year ago. My goodness, how fast they grow! *Sniff*

21 comments:

Unknown said...

you are looking great, and yes they do grow fast. enjoy them while they are little!

Andrew Opala said...

awesome Jess ... Children starving in China and you spill food on your shirt!

lee said...

I spill stuff on my shirt all the time and I'm not even pregnant!

Glad you are feeling better.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

You look wonderful! Glad to hear you are feeling better...well not puking anyway.

I am working on food inventory today and need to get clothes done too. It's not going to happen today. How does it all takes so much time?

heathermareed said...

Happy half way!!!

Charbelle said...

You look gorgeous and OH MY WORD your little girl is too cute!!!

MNFirefly said...

Yes, kids do grow fast. I am glad that the nausea has subsided for you.

N.D. said...

that went so quickly! you look great!

Aka Alice said...

LOL...That "amount of clothing bordering on obscene" doesn't go away. My daughter (now a teenager) has about 10 times the clothes that my son has...and probably at least twice as much as I do... I think I created a monster!

Glad the "pukecidents" have ceased!

Anonymous said...

That is not the same girl in those pictures! Man- time sure flies!

Unknown said...

It's pretty crazy going through the baby clothes, hey? Even though I'm pretty sure we're done with two kids and the fam is complete...it's tough to get rid of some things. I'm hanging on to quite a bit - just in case!

Elena said...

You are very optimistics. Good for you.
My sister is in 22 weeks and she is crying every day for no reason.....it is very difficult with her.

Anonymous said...

Wow, she is getting big. It seem like just yesterday...

Rachel said...

Hey, I found your blog and love it. Congratulations on baby #2. Caleb is a great name. I'm actually 16-weeks pregnant right now and I enjoyed reading your past entries. Mainly because I am running throughout the pregnancy (thus far... let's see how long I'll last), and many of your entries were very insightful.

Anyway, wishing you the best of luck. You look great at week 20.

Krissy said...

oh my goodness Norah is so cute in those tights on the beach! I love little girls in tights! so adorable, she has grown up so much! I feel the same way when I am sorting through Eli's clothes too! It's like I still can't get over he was that little one time!

Things I am sharing right now with you - cranky when I don't eat every few hours & trying to sleep comfortably sucks! I don't nap much but I do find myself resting on the couch quite a bit lately, just laying there for 20-30 mins or so is helpful.

You look great for 20 weeks!

Unknown said...

You look awesome and I loved your post about where you are in your pregnancy. I was there exactly one year ago and your updates make me miss it ;-) but also remember some of the unpleasantness (achy hips and heartburn - ugh). Good luck with it all and enjoy the journey.

Marlene said...

You look great! Glad you are feeling better.

Love the Norah pics too!

runner26 said...

glad you are feeling better! puking is the worst! loved the pics of norah--yes, they do grow fast!

Agate Lake Girl said...

You (& Caleb) are looking great! And I agree they do grow up too quickly. Norah is getting to be such a big girl!

Stuart said...

I here you on the clothes front, we have two boys and so at least there are some HMDs but there's still a lot of new too!

BrianFlash said...

Norah is very cute! Congrats on the 'good' part of pregnancy - may it continue as close to the end as possible.