TAT CN Header

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Morning Sickness Redux

For those who followed and read along when I was preggo with Norah, you may recall my bitching and moaning about being sick for...oh...about 20 weeks of my pregnancy with her. Well, I'm here today to tell you that if that bothered you, you may want to seek other reading because, so far, I have been just as barfy with this baby as I was with Norah. And after suffering silently for the past few weeks, I believe I am ready to share this lovely part of my pregnancy with you.

So, first of all, again the term "morning sickness"? A misnomer. As was evidenced when I puked up my chocolate ice cream the other night at 9:30 pm. (And BTW? Who knew that chocolate ice cream would burn coming up? Not me. I'd have guessed that one to be a smooth-puker.)

What triggers the barfisodes? Nothing and everything. That means there's no one thing that makes me want to hurl (ie, specific smells); I just feel nauseous all the time and, therefore, everything kinda makes me wanna hurl.

What helps? The traditional stuff: Ginger ale, saltines, Ramen soup, toast. Nothing very nutritional, but most days it's just about keeping my food down. That said, just as when I was first pregnant with Norah, I have a similar avoidance to meat. For some reason, when I'm eating meat right now I am just VERY aware that I'm chewing flesh. Disgusting, right? Exactly. So, I've been eating about 90% vegetarian lately, so I am getting my fill of fruit and veggies -- they just aren't always as kind as saltines.

Feeling sick like this on a daily basis wears me out, but I've been trying to do my best to trudge through my days and do my best at work and at home and with running (which, actually often makes me feel temporarily better; I think being out in the fresh air helps a lot). Today, though, I feel especially rotten, so I called in sick and cancelled my classes. I'm feeling guilty about that because I know this isn't like the flu, so a day's rest won't make it go away. I just have to deal with it.

Still, the extra rest sure is nice!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 19 weeks to go! Buck up little camper, if the next one is anything like Norah it will be totally worth it and you can hang the sickness stories over their heads when they are old enough to understand.

Marlene said...

Bah, not fun at all! You'd think baby number two could have cut you some slack!

Erin said...

At least you puke which keeps those stomach muscles in shape. OK, I was trying to find a good reason but that didn't cut it. Hang in there.

Julie D said...

More fresh-air walks are in order! Definitely something I'm not looking forward to at some future point, but as Jamoosh said, another thing to use as a guilt-trip token later on!

Jess said...

Don't feel guilty about taking the day off. If you're feeling crappy you wouldn't be doing yourself or your students very good to go try to teach class. Plus they'll appreciate a day off. Take the time to rest up and hopefully you'll feel a bit better tomorrow!

James said...

Of course it will be worth it! Don't feel bad about calling in sick. My philosophy is mental health is just as important a reason to call in as physical.

LeahC said...

oh i totally had the meat thing when i was pregnant. It was all I could do to get little bites down. most of it got better except for sausage (breakfast or brats)...I couldn't even look at it without getting ill.

Hang in!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Ya, barf stories again! The streak has started.........

MNFirefly said...

I found that Ensure helped for my 1st pregnancy to get proper nutrition. I hope the morning sickness doesn't last as long this time around.

teacherwoman said...

Sorry to hear you are dealing with just as much "morning sickness" as when you were pregnant with Norah. How annoying.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I hope your body adjusts more quickly this time around. Each pregnancy can be so different, I'll hope that holds true for you!

Aka Alice said...

Lemon drops...I lived on lemon drops (the hard candy, not the martini) when I was pregnant.

I absolutely craved whole milk when during first pregnancy...couldn't stand the sight of it in the second. One girl, one boy? Perhaps it is a clue.

MCM Mama said...

Ugh! I feel for you! Mine ended a lot earlier with my second, so I'll keep my fingers crossed the same happens for you.

Carly said...

Man, reading this brings back that perma hungover feeling I had during pregnancy. It is such a horrid thing that produces something so beautiful in the end. Hang in there.

ihaverun said...

Sorry about the all-day sickness. Not fun but totally worth it!

The Boring Runner said...

People have sure taken less for a sick day. And, you were ACTUALLY sick. I wouldn't feel guilty about that.

Carolina John said...

Congratulations on the new pregnancy Jess!

Agate Lake Girl said...

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that this pregnancy will be different and your "morning sickness" will only last 3-4 weeks. Wishful thinking?

Krissy said...

ewe....I am so lucky I didn't get sick with Eli much (only 2 or 3 times)and this baby nothing! I hope you turn the corner quick on this one, there is nothing worse than feeling like you got to hurl! yuck.