TAT CN Header

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Norah's Birth Story

Here are all the "gory details," as Jerry put it in his post yesterday:

As you know, we checked in to the hospital at 6 pm on Sunday night and got the Cervidil going. Monday morning, not much had changed, so they started me on Pitocin and then broke my water. But in the course of Sunday night and Monday, I made very little progress. In fact, by about 5:45 pm on Monday, I was still only 3 cm dilated.

As you can guess, I was very frustrated at this point because of the lack of progress, and the doctor was starting to talk Cesearean section. Thankfully, we also had our midwife there who was campaigning on my behalf to give me just a little more time, and that's exactly what I needed. In the next 45 minutes, I went from 3 cm to 9 cm: It was either the c-section talk or the drugs were finally starting to do their job. At 7 pm, I was feeling the desire to push, so we started some practice pushing, and while the doctor was still wary that I would be able to deliver this baby, I am thankful for our midwife who insisted that I could do it.

At 8 pm, the "real" pushing (the previous stuff hadn't much felt like practice to me!) began, and for the next 47 minutes, that's what I did. And good lord, I will tell you, it was the hardest physical, mental, and emotional thing I have ever done in my life. Physically, it was exhausting, and with each contraction, each push, I was exerting more phsyical effort than I have ever demanded of my body. Mentally and emotionally, it was frustrating and difficult to remain focused and positive that I could indeed do this, and there were many moments of near despair.

But, I must praise both the staff, who were amazing (we had one nurse who stayed nearly 2 hours past the end of her shift just to see this delivery through to its finale), and Jerry, who was not just encouraging, but was one of the most active members of the labor team. Because of them, I was able to push myself and stay strong.

In the end, the most beautiful moment in the world arrived, and before I could belive it to be real, Norah was being placed on my chest, and I can't describe the flood of joy and relief. I had done it, and she was here! I cried, Jerry cried, and Norah screeched. Of course, things weren't entirely done for me (episiotomoty had to be stitch up, ouchie, and the plasenta had to be passed), but Norah went to get bathed and weighed and measured. And within a few hours, we were transferred from labor and delivery up to the neo-natal unit.

Since then, things have gone pretty smoothly, and we have been able to sleep some and enjoy our new family. We're still in the hospital, and will be discharged tomorrow around 11 am. It will be good to go home!

47 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Yay! Glad you were able to deliver Norah without the C-Section! Can't wait to see more pics of the beautiful family!

MCM Mama said...

Congratulations! You did great and I'm so glad to hear you had someone advocating for you!

I can't wait to see lots and lots of pictures. ;o)

RunningLaur said...

Congratulations!
I'm sure all of the hard work you put into running as long as you did and all of the doggie walks helped avoid the c-section too!

Julie D said...

Great job!

Aron said...

you are amazing mama!!! congrats again :)

Kellie said...

Hurray! Congratulations!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful midwife too... I'm glad it went well!

Carly said...

Congratulations Jess and Jerry! She is beautiful.

I am glad that you didn't need a c-section and you had such a wonder support around you.

Looking forward to seeing more photos!

SavvyFitChica said...

Congratulations Jess! You did wonderfully and you should be so proud.

I can't wait for you to be home with your new family so you can get all settled in...

I'm so glad you and Norah are healthy! Can't wait to see pics.

Carolyn said...

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations to both you and Jerry Jess!!!! Norah is absolutely precious. So glad you were able to deliver naturally.

Laurel said...

God Jess, she's just perfect. Your midwife (and husband) sound great. Congratulations on a safe, healthy and happy birth.

Unknown said...

Congrats I am so happy for you!

Marci said...

Its good to hear from you, and that you are recovering well! Can't wait to see family pictures with Scooter and Norah!

X-Country2 said...

Of course you type up the birth story. :o)

Congrats! I'm so happy for your new little family.

Unknown said...

Congratulations you guys. I'm so glad things went well - it gives me some inspiration for our own little arrival hopefully in the next few days. It must be so exciting to welcome someone new to the family...I can't wait!

Kerrie said...

Everyone tells you a baby changes everything but you just don't/can't understand that until your child is born. Congratulations!

(And, I can't believe you are posting from the hospital!)

Kristin said...

CONGRATS!! You did it! I'm so happy you didn't have to have a c-section!! Enjoy every minute with her!

Monica said...

Do you remember when you posted a while back about everyone telling you "your life is getting ready to change". yada yada yada..... well...were they right? :) I thought the same as you until my first arrived and then POW!!! They were so right!!

Congrats and have a happy homecoming from a Texas reader!

DOtis said...

Congratulations on your family!

C said...

Yay for the midwife! So glad everything worked out well. Congrats again.

Crissy Rae said...

Congratulations hon! You are a trooper! It's great to hear what a good guy you got there and how supportive he was through the whole experience. We can't wait to meet her and will try to be patient and let you get settled in a bit before banging down the door :)

Anonymous said...

oh congratulations!!!! so excited for all 3 of you!

Erin said...

I am glad you had a good experience at the hospital. It was great to see you guys and meet Norah yesterday. Let me know if you need anything once home.

Unknown said...

Sounds like as you ran an equivalent of ten marathons !!! Congratulations !!! I cannot believe you are still blogging. I would think most mother would take a break from blogging for awhile. I do appreciate the fact that you have kept us posted right after the birth of Norah. Enjoy your rest and enjoy every seconds, minutes and hours with Norah and your husband.

Anonymous said...

Now that you are a veteran, in a few short weeks you can start working on a brother for Norah!

Running 365 said...

Oh my goodness, this made me tear up! So proud of you! Congratulations!

Jess said...

So glad you had your midwife there so you didn't have to do the C-section. Enjoy your time with Norah! Bet you'll be glad to get home!

Anonymous said...

Jess, I am so happy for you guys! I can't wait to read about all the adventures of baby Norah. I am sure Scooter is excited to meet her.

Shannon said...

Yahoo! Of course you did it, I can't believe you ever doubted that. I'll share everyone sentiments with "thank God no C-section!"

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your story. I loved this part - made me smile

"I cried, Jerry cried, and Norah screeched"

Marlene said...

Congratulations again! Props for sticking with it and pushing that baby out! :)

lifestudent said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful (and her eyes are open in the pics!)!

Cant wait to hear all of your fun stories over the coming months. It's a crazy train you are now on :)

Marcy said...

CONGRATS!! Awwhhh she's super cute! Cheers to the new fam! Now go get yourself some much needed sleep (if you can get some hehe)

MN Mom said...

Norah is beautiful! I am so happy for you all. Can't wait to meet her next week??? Congratulations happy family!

Wes said...

That's just wonderful. I can't help but think your active lifestyle prepared you well for this effort. Congratulations to you and Jerry again. Enjoy that baby!!

The Introvert said...

Glad to hear you and the baby are doing good. I can't wait to see more pictrues :) Congrats again!

Running Through Life said...

Congratulations! What a great story and great family.

Krissy said...

Your story just brought tears to my eyes ! I can't wait for the moment to meet my little guy, I know it will be alot of work and exhausting but somehow it all works out in the end :) Congrats!!

Natalie D said...

congrratulations! I got all teary too!

Carolina John said...

Good job sister! i think the instinct that kicks in is amazing. As soon as she was placed on your chest, i'm sure you knew exactly how to hold her, what she needed, how to handle her. it's truly an incredible experience which non-parents cannot understand. Welcome to the club!

18 years seems like a long time, but she will one day go off to college or move out. it's amazing how fast it goes by. Seems like yesterday our first was born, and she just turned 4 this summer. When you get home and have a sec, go back and read my refections post again. i think you will see the perspective change.

incredibly cool, and I am so proud for you!

Blaine said...

Congratulations and enjoy. They get big fast. It's time to start looking for her first pair of asics.

Jessica said...

She is GORGEOUS! I just wanna squeeze her! Congrats...

B. Kramer said...

Why did this sound like a race report? Congrats again to the new parents. Cheers!

kristen said...

I'm so glad everything worked the way you wanted it. Well actually, I supppose you would have wanted it done pain free and without all the drama - but you know what I mean, with out the c-section.

Can't wait for more Norah updates. Of course you know now that when people invite you over they are really doing it just to see the baby. They really don't care about you as much anymore :)

Neese said...

awesome!
and again, she is BEAUTIFUL!! new borns never look THAT good! :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! So happy to hear the wonderful news and can't wait to hear all about your adventures as parents! ;)

MNFirefly said...

That's an awesome birth story!