TAT CN Header

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another Outing

Today, I got back into those big girl panties, and I took Norah to work. I figure she's two and half weeks old, time for her to start earning an income.

Kidding.

I took her to the English Department so my colleagues could get the chance to "ohhhh" and "ahhhh" over her, which they did. She had fallen asleep in the car, so she slept the whole time we were visiting (probably for the best), so she didn't really get to appreciate all the compliments she received.

It was nice for me to visit as well. It was good to talk with some people who I haven't seen since the spring, and it was just nice being on campus (even though it was crazy busy: first week of classes means no parking and students everywhere -- trust me, they thin out over the course of a semester). I always think that fall start up is an exciting time of year to be on a college campus: Students look eager and fresh and so do the faculty. I'm a little sad to be missing it this year, but staying home right now is certainly worth it.

Anyhoo, Norah did well on the car ride to campus, and like I said, she slept while I was visiting with everyone, but then on the drive home she went from "a touch fussy" to "I just put on my cranky pants" to "Hysteria Harriet." It sucked because there was nothing I could do to soothe her since I was driving (and every red light was in a plot against me), so I just had to deal with it until I got home -- and she was a snotty, teary mess by that time -- when I could change her and feed her and get her settled down.

So, it was good to get out, but it was also good to get back home.

19 comments:

Wes said...

Wow! You are catching on quick... Nothing like the screaming baby in the car exercise to further your parental skillz... Good for you!!!

I want to be a success story said...

Oh, man, I remember that helpless feeling! The first time that happened to me, we were on the highway and so close to our exit, but I couldn't take it anymore! I was crying and he was sreaming, so I took the nearest exit and pulled into the McDonalds just so I could get him out, hug and feed him.

It made me feel a lot better! Parenting is not easy!

Outings are good!

keith said...

And I think it's bad when there's a bee in the car...

Sounds like you're having fun with the new little one!

The Sean said...

bees are scary

runner26 said...

sounds like a fun outing ;) glad that things settled down once you got Norah home.

MCM Mama said...

UGH, I always hated the drives where they fell apart and you just had to keep going.

Glad you got out again.

Jessica said...

I hate the driving/crying thing. Nothing made my blood pressure escalate faster! That being said, outings are SO good and joining a mom's group can be a lifesaver. I never did because of work, but I wished I had--even if you have to miss stuff, go ahead and join!

Marlene said...

Sounds like a successful outing for the most part. The ride home must have been rough!

Carolina John said...

cool! watching other people drool over the baby is one of the best parts! nicely done, Jess.

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a good outing. You are doing great!

Agate Lake Girl said...

Outings are fun and yes, babies hate those red lights! There should really be a lane for mommies where we never have to stop. :)

Crissy Rae said...

I bet your level of patience has gone up considerably. It's got to be tough to handle the crying fits, especially when it's completely out of your control, but it sounds like you both made it through and on to happier times :)

Natalie D said...

That is the worst when we are driving and meltdown mode arrives. Glad you made it into work! You are so energetic! I am sad to be missing the start to the school year(high school though) this year .. and the whole year !

SavvyFitChica said...

I'm glad you got to visit with some colleagues and show her off!

It's okay for her to cry...and it's probably good for you to be put in a position where you can't immediately calm and soothe her. She's fine right? It didn't kill her! Don't worry... you're a wonderful mom, she's a healthy, happy baby, and her small "emotinoal breakdown" won't change that. :)

d.a.r. said...

You mamas amaze me!! I would be a whimpering mess, but you are so calm and collected about it all!

Marci said...

Wow, I could really feel myself in the car, yet not as calm as you! Good work mama!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things continue to go well. I am sure there were tons of "ohhhs" and "ahhhs" Norah is beautiful.

Krissy said...

hahaa...isn't that how it works! But she did look like a little angel when you needed her to!

Unknown said...

Yay, first trip to work all done. Myself, Marcus started to get 'a touch fussy' in the lineup at Wal Mart. Ugh, have I just become one of those mothers with a crying kid that you always see at Wal Mart?