I had my weekly check up at the doctor's this morning, preceded by an ultrasound, and the news is kind of a mixed bag.
The ultrasound reported everything as healthy, and it estimated Norah's weight to be 8 lbs 7 oz, which is big, but not quite GIANT like the doctor had feared, and really, the ultrasound could be off and she could be closer to the high 7 lbs, low 8 lbs range. Still, she'll be big and healthy!
For my actual exam, the best news is that she has dropped down significantly and is at the -3 position, and I am 50% effaced, but I am just barely dilated 1 cm at this point. So, here's the low down on the plan, yo:
Hopefully, I naturally go into labor in the next few days, which the doctor said is highly likely to happen, but if I do not go into labor on my own by my due date, then we have scheduled an induction for Sunday night. If that's what happens, I'll check into the hospital at 6 pm on Sunday, and they will start the drug Cervidil, and that takes 12 hours to ripen my cervix and get me going on dilation, and then on Monday morning, they would start the Pitocin. So, one way or another, Norah will probably be here by Monday night.
When the doctor first introduced the idea of induction at my appointment last week, I was resistant to thinking about it, but today when she said that she thought that'd be best, I was so relieved that I broke down in tears. And, after having the afternoon to think about it, I really feel that this is the best course of action because we're still waiting for the due date before inducing, but this way, I have a firm deadline, and I can't express in words what a relief it is to have a knowable end in sight. Seriously, I have felt so much more relaxed and at ease this afternoon that I feel like a big, stressful weight has lifted.
Which, interestingly enough, could be exactly what nature needs in order for my body to go into labor on its own. The doctor said that sometimes just knowing a firm date sets so many women's mind's to ease that they finally relax, and then, boom, labor starts on its own. So, we'll see. At any rate, I feel comfortable with the decision, Jerry feels comfortable with that, and the doctor thinks it's the right decision, so I think I am going to sleep a lot better tonight than I have in awhile!