TAT CN Header

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Five Frigid Miles

As I mentioned earlier, temps plummeted last night here in FL -- getting as low as 30 in some parts (abnormal for FL), but by the time I ran today (mid-morning) it was in the mid-40s. Brrrrr.

It started out really cold. The first 1.25 miles was north, straight into a wind that occasionally took my breath away, but after I turned east, the wind was hitting me less directly and the miles started to go more smoothly. I could appreciate the chillier temp as I got warmed up, and by the 3rd mile, I was enjoying the cooler weather and how much easier it is to breathe cool, dry air. The last .25 of a mile was north again, and I had to push hard into the wind in order to maintain my pace, but in the end, the 5 miles went well and I was pleased with how even my splits were.

1: 9:41
2: 9:42
3: 9:31
4: 9:35
5: 9:36

Total Time: 48:06

17 comments:

June said...

I am hoping my mile repeats tonight look close to that. Coach has me down for 4 of em between 9:39 and 9:44. With temps here just close to 50 today, but will be in the 40's by time that I start I should be able to do semi-OK.

Way to go!

L*I*S*A said...

You rock, plain and simple. Even in those 'frigid' temps down there in Florida. ;)

Way to get the job done...

Marcy said...

Oooooo very nice Jess! Very nice! ;D I still want to trade places :P I'll take 35 over 20 any day hehe

Neese said...

even steven, um, Jess! :)
Nice job!

Laurel said...

It is freezing here today, right? I woke up this morning and all my plants and garbage cans were blown over.

Great job on the run though. I will be out there tomorrow and it's gonna be COLD!

Laura N said...

Great pace for running into the wind. The weather is so relative.... I'd love to see the 40s right now. =) Hope the rest of your week goes well.

Non-Runner Nancy said...

Great job running in the cold. Hope you are feeling better after the sick day.

ws said...

nice splits on the fiver.

I did run in a wool hat and gloves, by the way. My blood is too thin...

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Sorry, but somehow 30s and 40s don't seem that cold to me right now...we've seen 20ish in the morning of late...LOL

J~mom said...

Our temps are the same again. Too friggen cold for me!

Your 5 looks awesome!!

miss petite america said...

you're getting faster and more consistent!

lifestudent said...

I heard you guys are supposed to get snow and stuff??? Its so cold here today that I didnt even leave the house except to go pick up a prescription...and of course the pharmacy was closed when I got there :(

David said...

Better than me! It was right around freezing all day here, and winds from 7-12 mph, and I developed an eye problem: just couldn't see running! I rode the trainer instead (yay cross training!). Good for you, and I'm sure that was a tough run considering the temp conditioning you enjoy. Pretty darn good pace, too!

Who is SLB+? said...

Great consistency on your splits.

Nice job.

Nicole said...

Nice run, but really brrr? It is 3 degrees currently in Chicago!

Viv said...

Jes, the cold air is suiting you!

Firefly's Running said...

Nice job, Jess! Excellent splits!