TAT CN Header

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Baby Class #2: Massage

Last night, Jerry and I had session #2 of "baby class" and the primary topic was massage. So, we learned some basics about infant massage and how giving your baby little rub downs can be beneficial, and we learned a few "don'ts" about baby massage: Um, that place called the "soft spot"? Don't push on it. (But here's a helpful hint we learned: rubbing a baby's tummy in a clockwise motion can help relieve constipation. I guess it works for adults too, so if your pooper is stopped up, try giving yourself a belly rub. But, it has to be clockwise -- counter-clockwise is just, well, counter-productive.)

But the primary focus of the evening was really how spouses/partners can give the preggo a relaxing massage to help relieve all the complaints preggos have in the 3rd trimester and during labor. So, we learned four basic massage strokes, and what areas to focus on/what areas to avoid -- in the 1st and last trimester, a preggo is not supposed to have deep pressure applied to palms or heals because it can trigger early labor, but you can still have those areas rubbed, just no kneading.

The best part? The last 10 minutes of class, the men had to apply what they learned and give us preggos a short massage. Jerry was kind enough, when we got home, to go the extra distance and give me a full massage! Ahhhh, it was so nice, and incidentally, I slept SO well last night.

So, we learned a few things from the class, but on the whole, I would give its overall educational value a 4 out of 10. I don't think we needed to know the history of massage, and a few other things the instructor covered seemed superfluous, so I think the class could've been half as long as it was. Plus, something about half the phrases he used had me thinking "That's what she said!" after he said them, so it was kinda hard to suppress some childish giggling.

And in the end, I think Jerry and I were more focused on the kissy-lovey couple in front of us that we were distracted for most of the class. I mean, hey, it's nice to be affectionate with one another, but I thought they might start makin' love at one point; I guess the talk of massage got them all frisky. As Jerry commented on the way home: "You know they're the sort of people who got pregnant on their honeymoon!" And dude, I'm sorry, but her laugh? It's like the braying of a donkey!

Oh, one last anecdote: The instructor was talking about how massage can help you recover better after a workout, and he so he asks the class, "Ladies are you still exercising?" I nodded my head "yes," but I was surprised to hear most of the class, including donkey-laugher in front of me, emphatically say, "Nope!" So...maybe I don't feel so bad for switching from running to walking at 32 weeks!

16 comments:

B. Kramer said...

See what you've already accomplished? You've out-exercised all those other (wimpy) preggos. Cheers.

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

that was my favorite class, simply because I got a massage, haha! Way to go with the exercise!

Marlene said...

Yep, I think you are probably in the minority with your exercise and fitness throughout pregnancy.

I hope Jerry keeps those massages coming!

Carly said...

I missed that class! Maybe it was because we got kicked out after watching the birthing video. My hubby and I are not exactly what you call mature. Oh, and I totally *know* that couple you speak of....

I am glad you got some good sleep after a nice massage.

Anonymous said...

Babies love having their bellies rubbed. I didn't know it worked on adults too, interesting.

MCM Mama said...

That baby belly rubbing is helpful when baby has gas too.

Glad you got a massage out of the class and out exercised all the other preggos. ;o)

Ryan said...

We had the preggo massage freak for one of the last classes, which made us appreciate his less than witty banter that much more, after going through 4 or 5 classes of Miss Monotone. The reason for that class being in the baby training is so that if the Dudes play their cards right, they may get to revisit the act that got them in the situation in the first place. 60% of the time it works 100% of the time...

sunshine said...

Sounds like a fun class to me. Hope you're feeling well and glad to hear you're still walking!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun class (for you at least!) All those non-exercisers will be wishing they had stayed in shape when they are struggling to get their bod back!

Carolina John said...

I enjoyed those classes when we had to take them, but they never covered massage. nice touch!

TX Runner Mom said...

Why, oh why didn't I look into baby massage when I was pregnant? Oh well, too late now...sounds nice though! :-)

Lily on the Road said...

Great post, it made me Braaayyyy out loud at kissy, cuddly couple in front, "get a room".

Good stuff Jerry, just remember clock-wise!

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like a pretty good class. Better make sure Jerry keeps those skillz sharp. Practice practice.

Krissy said...

I am always surprised how everyone is shocked that I still work out regularly! I mean really if the doctors say it is healthy for you and the baby and can lead to possibly and easier delivery why wouldn't more fellow preggo's out there do it?! Glad to hear that you were giggling in that class too, my husband and I couldn't keep our composure in our birthing class!

Unknown said...

Well, I'm sorry that you had to make the tough decision to switch to walking - I think I'm just about there myself! Most of my friends haven't been exercising AT ALL during their pregnancies so you know you've at least done more for your baby than most. Or, at least more than Donkey-Laugh!

Agate Lake Girl said...

We had an inappropriate PDA couple in our class too - worse yet, she had man hands... eww!