TAT CN Header

Sunday, February 18, 2007


Well, I didn't finish.

In fact, I only made it 2 miles, and it was at that early point that I knew the pain in my right knee wasn't going to relent.

I felt good as I stood at the start line, and was excited for the race ahead of me, but a half mile into it, my knee began to ache and I had to stop and stretch. At mile 1, the ache had turned into a sharp, shooting pain and I had already stopped and stretched several times. I know there are people who are able to work through pain and see to getting the job done, and for a little bit, I thought I could be one of those people, but by mile 2, I had already stopped a handful of times, and the pain was not subsiding. I knew then I couldn't go the next 11 miles.

So, I turned around and walked back.

My knee dully ached as I walked back to the parking garage where my car was waiting for me, and after awhile even that subsided. I knew, however, that if I started jogging again that the pain would resume. It was over for the day, and for the race.

I am deeply disappointed that I didn't finish; I didn't even get past mile 2. And, I guess this means I need to see a doctor, because ignoring this problem has not been enough to make it go away.


miss petite america said...

aw poop! well at least now your knee is gonna get the attention it needs and you'll be back on your way to being a healthy runner again! good luck, chica!

runner26 said...

I am so sorry! I know what a disappointment that can be! The same thing happened to be during a 15K--2 miles in, I knew I couldn't go on. Same knee--same pain. Best of luck with recovery. Let me know if I can help.

Firefly's Running said...

Oh NO!! Get that knee checked out ASAP.

teacherwoman said...

I am so sorry to hear about your knee! It's good that you are going to have it checked out. Take care of yourself.

JustJunebug said...

Dont be disappointed! Well maybe just a bit, but dangit girl you TRIED and thats more than gosh, i dont know A BAZILLION people can say!!!

big hugs and hope the knee feels better soon!

Neese said...

aw i'm sorry :(

just remind yourself what you DID run not too long ago ;) you rock.

brunettechicagogal said...

That sucks. Runner26 will tell you about DNF (Did Not Finish) races. Fingers crossed: I haven't had one yet, but I'm sure it's inevitable. Take care and stay off the running path for now!