...Garmin's customer service had advised me to first try updating the device's software before I sent it in, just in case that was its issue. So, I did as I was told and updated its software.
Viola! It turned on.
This was early last week. I took out for a 3 miler as a test "run," and it worked just fine:
I figured: "Halleluja! It's healed."
Then I turned it off and put it on the charger.
And, it seemingly went kaput again. So, I did a hard reset, and...back on! You can guess at last week's cycle with the device: It seems dead; I do a hard reset; it returns from the dead.
It's been recording mileage accurately, and I used it all weekend, so the GPS signal must be good, but I still think something funky must be up with its battery. Or, it just wants to fuck with me.
Either way, I think I must summon up my courage and call customer service again and tell them, "Hey, I tried the software update but, um, it's still glitchy." They were super nice the last time, but I just hate having to call customer service for anything. It's one of those "Chores I Abhore."
This is why I need a personal assistant.