It's a combination of factors -- I have a head cold, Caleb is teething and/or turning into a Gremlin, Norah is 3, PMS, Jerry leaves his pants on the floor -- and, to add insult to injury, the runs have been slow and plodding. To say I'm irritable is like saying Lindsay Lohan has a *minor* susbstance problem.
Yesterday, I actually began typing a Word document that was just a list of gripes and pet peeves (people who throw cigarette butts out of their cars, people who spit out of their cars, people who pronounce it "EXpecially," people who rely on logical fallacy to make arguments, people who seemingly can't distinguish between "definitely" and "defiantly," people who misequate Darwinism with "survival of the fittest"...).
My list was long.
This morning, though, I figured I needed to change my attitude a bit and make a list of things I like. So, what is the opposite of a pet peeve? A Pet Please! (As in, these are things that "please" me. C'mon, play along with my word play; it pleases me if you find me charming!)
- Norah's giggle: It's so girlish and cute.
- Caleb's cheeks: I often tell him that I'm gonna "eat your face!" -- which, I realize, taken out of context probably sounds disturbing.
- Jerry's willingness to rub my feet: He's a good foot-rubber, better even than the pros -- who just end up tickling me, really.
- Running: Even when it's not great, it's better than not-running.
- Students who are respectful, thoughtful, and insightful.
- Colleagues who make me laugh: English professors are quite funny. We ESpecially excel at satire.
- Dunkin Donuts' iced lattes: I couldn't get through the week without them, and now that our campus opened a DD a mere 100 yards from my office, I'm happier than a pig in mud.
- NPR. I'm nerdy like that, and I love that I can listen to many of my favorite NPR podcasts ("Fresh Air," "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," and "Science Friday" are some of my favs) from my phone.
- Speaking of podcasts, I recently discovered the fabulous "The Partially Examined Life" which is a philosophy show that blends insight with humor. Often hilarious and contemplative.
- "Big Bang Theory." I'm not gonna lie: I watch re-runs of this almost daily. I don't know if I'd ever tire of Sheldon and Amy Farrah Fowler.
- Yuengling: It's good beer.
- Mumford and Sons: Those Brits do folk-rock right!
- Winter in FL. Seriously, you should be jealous. It's beautiful here right now.
- Our bedding. I keep thinking I should replace it because our sheets are so worn, but man alive, it's SO soft, it's like snuggling into the lap of a bunny.
Annoyances abound, but so do joys.
What are a few of your favorite things?