TAT CN Header

Friday, October 16, 2009

Running Routine

I know there are some people out there who can get out of bed, hop into their running clothes, and be out the door for an AM run within 10 minutes.

I am not one of those people.

For me, the AM run routine is about 30 minutes and the process is something like this:

1. Pump. No one wants to run with boobies full of milk. That would hurt. So, I first have to get up and treat myself to feeling like Elsie the cow.

2. Drink a cup of coffee. Whether it's 5 am or 10 am, I don't wake up until I've had a cup 'o joe. (And yes, you can still drink caffeine and breastfeed -- you just have to limit the amount of caffeine.)

3. Whilst I sip down my coffee, I read blogs for about 10 or 15 minutes. So, if you have comments on your blogs from me that are time stamped at o' dark thirty, then you understand what I'm doing.

4. Poop. A pre-run deuce is essential to me before a morning run; plus, afterward, I feel lighter and more athletic. And thankfully, I never have a problem with timing because of #2 on my list here (hee, hee, I made a pun).

5. Get dressed. Yes, finally we're at that stage. Getting dressed includes slipping on the running attire, but it also means pulling my hair back and applying Body Glide to the necessary spots.

6. Lastly, I snap on the iPod and affix the Garmin around my wrist: Then I'm ready to step out the door.

So, yes, this morning was another successful AM run with the above prep routine to ready me for it.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

graham does everything you do except pump milk- that would be kinda weird and possible grounds for divorce.

ooh and he waits for coffee for after

MCM Mama said...

That sounds pretty familiar. I so don't miss having to pump before a run or race though. LOL

Anonymous said...

I used to be the ten minute out of bed hit the road person. As I have gotten old(er) the duece has become a required part of the routine...

Unknown said...

I have a similar routine. Minus, of course, pumping. I haven't been meals on feet for a looooong time.

JojaJogger said...

I have pretty much the same routine, minus #1, #2 is a Diet Dr Pepper, and sometimes it takes an hour between #2 and #4.

Carolina John said...

very good! routines can be spicy too. and I liked your pun. very funny!

X-Country2 said...

I'm the exact same way. My stalling is sometimes longer than the actual run!

Katie A. said...

Hahahaha! You had me on the floor laughing! I think it's the poop talk (yes, I am a 2nd grader at heart!)
I have almost the same routine, too - minus the pumping - but still, it takes forver to get out of the door in the morning, but in the afternoon it's get dressed and go when I get home! Happy Friday! :)

Jess said...

HAHAHAh oh man that morning routine is hilarious. I'm a 10 minutes out the door person.

Wes said...

Elsie the Cow? ROFL... All I have to do is THINK about running and I poop on command. It's amazing... Dee Dee is soooo jealous...

Christie said...

Yes, it's definitely important to make a pit stop before hitting the trails after #2. Coffee can certainly get things going and make for a very uncomfortable run.

Anonymous said...

I have had to delay any morning coffee (therefore also delaying any extra bathroom time) so I can get out the door quicker on days I work.
Including pumping, I think 30 minutes is still pretty quick! :)

Heather said...

Nice job on another morning run!

Mary said...

Well, I would *like* to be a hop outta bed and run lady, but since I don't have to pump anymore, I do have to drag (and sometimes this is literally the case) a couple of 13 year olds and a 10 year old out of bed, feed them and shove them out the door for school before I can run. Weekends, I get up, put on running duds, drink the coffee and roll. I don't do music or Garmin, so maybe that saves a bit of time... Sounds like you are doing great, though. I don't think I could have even pumped in 30 minutes, back in the day.

lifestudent said...

I'm the same. Not the same exact routine, but it takes me forever to get out the door. 30 minutes, plus an additional 10 running around doing things I forgot to do.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Yeah for all the breastfeeding running mommys!!! I knew I was not the only one!

runner26 said...

#4 = hilarious! you crack me up, jess ;)

ihaverun said...

I don't know how people get out the door in less than 30 minutes!! I don't pump, I just try to time it around when my baby gets up to eat so it can take even longer than 30 minutes!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Sounds like no one can get out the door in under 10 minutes!

Unknown said...

That's definitely my exact routine minus the pumping. Have a great weekend!

Carly said...

When I was running in the morning, it was mandatory that I have my coffee and sit down and read a few blogs prior to heading out the door. I think my fellow bloggers got me out the door. Ha!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

#4 is absolutely essential, I have to get up early to ensure that one too, LOL! I SOOO don't miss the pumping though, uggh

N.D. said...

hahah.. if I don't get to poop pre-race it is not gonna be pretty!!

Crissy Rae said...

Pretty good routine there. I am a jump out of bed, throw clothes on and run kind of girl in the a.m. but do more planning in the evenings, which I think is why those a.m runs have tapered off.

Twincerely,Olga said...

awesome run! Way to go!!! The weather is so perfect right now!! I'm in Fl.too

Marlene said...

I can't get out the door very quickly either. Always need something light to eat and a tea and HOPEFULLY a pit stop.

sRod said...

about that poop and run business. I definitely need to nail that down. Inproper pooping halted many a morning run.