TAT CN Header

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Inappropriate Gear

As runners, we have all made mistakes in selecting the right gear and/or clothing for ourselves, and we've all seen "those" runners on the streets or at a race who are running in, or with, something questionable.  And you know you have fought the urge to lean over and say, "Hey, cotton sucks.  Your life will be better without it!"  But do you actually say it?  No.  But you want to, right?

Well, last night, as I was on my way home after my night class, I saw a woman out running with her child in a stroller.  I've seen this woman a few times previously on my way home from night class, and aside from it being past 9 pm, and a questionable hour to have a small child out (for all I know, the run makes him or her fall asleep), what astounds me about this runner is her "running" stroller:

Yeah, a basic umbrella stroller.

I'm just dumbfounded about this choice as a running stroller.  Perhaps she knows no better, maybe this is what she has and so this is what she's made work, but I can't imagine how hard she's making it for herself, not to mention how uncomfortable a ride it would be for the child.  And ultimately, running the mostly-dark suburban streets at 9 pm, with a 4-wheeled, collapsible stroller, just seems like a recipe for disaster -- you hit a divot in the sidewalk (and trust me, there are plenty -- she was running in an area that I run all the time), and BAM!  Kid is face first in the asphalt.

I'm not the sort who would intrude on a stranger while she is running (not to mention the fact that, good lord, how scary would I be pulling over to the side of the road in the dark -- or worse yet, shouting out the window at her as I slow down) to inform her that an appropriate running stroller would make both of their lives easier and safer.  But, the runner in me would really like to!

15 comments:

Sam's Minions (aka parents- Angie and Brian) said...

That is so dangerous. I really hope that the child continues to stay safe. I'd hate to have the stroller go into the pavement with the mom right on top of it.

Kimberly said...

Eek! I think that's the "in a pinch" stroller on my registry. I understand joggers can be expensive but ... yeah. It's the first thing I told the grandparents that I wanted.

Julie D said...

I am definitely going to get a jogging stroller someday, even if it's not BOB... at least one designed for jogging.

I don't know if I'd ever stop someone mid-run to bug them about stuff... True story: I used to wear boxers to run.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Many many many years ago when Army Son was very little(and until he was 5!) I too was one of those moms who used what I had. Money was tight to say the least. And I made the best of the situation I had at the time.
Granted my longest runs were usually 6ish miles back then so the torture didn't last too long. To be honest Army Son was usually happy to go with me and rarely complained about going.
I know you didn't mean this in a judgmental way at all. But I am reminded that often I can only see things through my own experinces. Today, an older me, takes a step back and wishes I could have done "better" for my oldest perhaps he would have enjoyed it more or it would have been "easier" for me. But in all honesty, I probably wouldn't change much about how I traveled through those years, umbrealla stroller and all.

bobbi said...

Before I was a runner, I was running across the parking lot to preschool with my youngest in an umbrella stroller. I was late and it was raining. What you described happened to me exactly, and I felt horrible. I dumped the whole stroller with him in it forward onto the pavement. He wasn't seriously hurt - a few scratches - but I felt awful about it.

I could never afford a jogger. Which is probably why I waited until my kids were bigger to start running...

Robin said...

I worry about my 5 month old being a jogging stroller on any surface that isn't smooth as glass, I can't imagine running with her in an umbrella stroller. I understand that a mom's gotta do what she can with what she's got, but I don't think risking injury to a child to get a run in at 9 o'clock at night is just a mom doing what she can with what she has. I think its dangerous. Now would I say anything to her--probably not.

teacherwoman said...

that does sound pretty dangerous. I would want to say something too, but don't think I would.

Lee said...

I have virtually no experience with strollers whatsoever, but I think even I'd know not to do that!

N.D. said...

whoa- I'd be nervous for the kid's safety.. and concerned about the 9pm hour, as well as the uncomfortable feel of running w/ that!

ihaverun said...

I feel the same way when I see someone running in cotton from head to toe. I just cringe.

Marlene said...

It must be quite a bumpy ride for the poor kid! Yikes.

fancy nancy said...

How can the kid fall asleep in this??? Someone please tell the lady about a BOB!!!

Scarlett said...

My father trained for 4 marathons running with regular ole strollers: 2 with me and then 2 more with my little brother. One time, when I was three and way too big to be in a stroller, the wheels popped off and my dad had to carry me and the broken stroller ten miles home! Poor guy! He is a very strong runner though!

Wes said...

she'll learn the first time she makes baby do a face plant :-/

Krissy said...

wow that stroller looks like it would be a disaster to run with! that poor kid!