Turns out, the Garmin is backordered, and probably won't ship until the second week of June. Poop. When I ordered the Garmin, on April 30, it said "5 left in stock" -- I took that to mean they HAD 5 in stock, but apparently, they had expected them to be in stock, but they still have not received their full supply from Garmin yet. According to the customer service rep, "Demand has been unexpectedly high for this version and Garmin is backed up in manufacturing and distribution to its retailers." Fine, guess I can wait.
But, it's now expected arrival date is bad timing since we'll likely be on vacation when it arrives. So, I am faced with a dilemma: I can either A.) Hope it gets delayed a bit more and doesn't arrive until we get back from vacay -- very likely scenario since the date the rep gave me is "tentative"; B.) Cancel the order altogether, and then wait to reorder after we get back; or, C.) Have it shipped to my in-laws in MN since we'll be staying there during its approximate ship date.
Each scenario seems risky in its own way, but I don't want it to arrive while we're gone and then sit outside our door -- in broad daylight! -- until our return. What to do?