TAT CN Header

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Two Things Tuesday: On Soreness and Stacks of Grading

Sore
On Saturday night, Jerry, Norah, and I (Caleb stayed at home with my SIL who is here visiting) attended my department's holiday party.  It was at my dean's home, and in his backyard, there was an old jungle gym/swing set that they'd had there when their kids were younger (their kids are in college now if that gives an indication of the age of this thing).  Anyway, it had some rings, so I thought it'd be fun to show off and do some flips for Norah.

She thought I was the bomb-diggity for that, and she begged, "Again!"  I obliged with several more flips.  My arms were achin'.  But, she HAD to tell Jerry about my accomplishment, and Jerry didn't believe that I could do this, so he had to see: One more flip.  Then, Jerry assisted Norah in her "flips," so one last time, she had to see me repeat it.  Good lord, my achin' arms!

Sunday, the day after, wasn't terrible.  But yesterday?  My arms were like flaccid lumps of arm meat.  I had to swallow a fistful of Advil just to get through the day.  Today they are a bit better, but still sore. 

Does this prompt me to think that I need to do more strength training?  Nah.  I just clearly need to avoid my dean's backyard from here on to eternity.

Stacks of Grading
No marathon analogy here: This week is a sprint. 

This is finals week, and I have approximately 125 essays to read by Monday.  Actually, about 100 because I just finished one class's.  My grades for the term are due on Tuesday, and even though I know I CAN do it, I'm at a point right now where I just don't wanna.

Plus, some of these essays are T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E.  Notice I spelled that right?  Well, in one essay I read this afternoon, the student didn't even manage to spell her own name right!  This is what I'm dealing with.

Add to that the sudden finals-induced-drama that students are always stricken with (Grandmas start to die with alarming frequency), and I just want to fast-forward to a week from today when my semester will be done and I can focus on the less stressful activity of doing my ENTIRE Christmas shopping in one week.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Send some essays my way and I'll help you. Of course, I am a pretty hard grader.

Lee said...

I can imagine what the essays are like. I remember my sister sent me some sort of paper that she wrote to proofread and it was full of "ur" instead of "your." I was just like, "Umm..."

Elizabeth said...

I wish there was a "like" button for your blogs!

MNFirefly said...

I can not imagine how much you have to deal with. Focus on the finish line.

Julie D said...

Ha ha... poor student who couldn't spell their own name.

And your ring flipping is a total talent! I'm not sure if I can do that!

Unknown said...

Norah inspired upper body workout - you could market that!

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

Flips on the rings- that's pretty impressive!

And this is the time I don't envy teachers and professors! All that marking would drive me crazy. I think spelling your name wrong is an automatic fail...

Agate Lake Girl said...

Next time we're somewhere with rings, I'm going to have to demand to see flips!

ajh said...

Funny post! When your arms are killing you remember how impressed your daughter and husband were. And stay away from your dean's backyard!

I sympathize with you on all the correcting.

MCM Mama said...

LOL at the rings. N made me attempt a pullup at a Cub Scout fitness thing. Needless to say, I'm buying a pullup bar soon.

Good luck with the grading. I don't envy you.

fancy nancy said...

Nice job gymnast!!! Have a blast with those papers...grade with a glass of wine...makes the papers funnier!

Erin said...

Good lord, the last time I did a flip on a swing set bar or the rings was probably over 20 years ago. Good for you! I am with Shannon, we may need to feed you drinks on Saturday and then find a park for some awesome moves.

As for paper grading-yuck! I bet you thought would never dread finals after you graduated. Miscalculation? :)

Carolina John said...

Yay for visiting babysitters! Good luck getting that many essays graded. It's not going to be fun.

Crissy Rae said...

Even with the soreness, I'm sure it felt good to know you still had some playground skills.

I am in the same boat with xmas shopping. Just not enough hours in the day to get it all done.

Wes said...

I'm sure sore arms did not help! Have fun!!!

Krissy said...

Ha! I am cracking up about the grandma's dying all of a sudden! lol....